- Audience: Children ages 3-12. The activities are suitable for child-care centers, family child-care homes, primary schools, after-school programs, or summer camps.
- Children learn best when they interact with materials, and are more likely to understand and remember concepts they “play with” through hands-on activities.
- Children and adults all benefit from seeing math as something that can be fun.
- Spark an interest in math in children—you might inspire a future engineer!
What’s the commitment?
- 2 hours to prepare: Review materials, select a few you are most comfortable with, arrange with a preschool or school-age program
- 1-2 hours conducting the activities with children
- This material is drawn from I Believe in Math, developed by TERC and funded from IBM through
the IBM Global Work/Life Fund. Additional funding was provided by the National Science Foundation.
For additional hands-on math activities, go to: http://mixinginmath.terc.edu
Asked Questions about Activity Kits for volunteers