Make mathematics fun for kids, with this series of games and activities designed to promote an understanding of numbers, data, probability, measurement, time, and other math skills. Two sets of activities—one for preschool children, another
for primary school students— help children engage in and enjoy math. The activities are based on research by the National Science Foundation in the United States.
What do I need to know about this activity?
Any volunteer can do these simple, straightforward activities. Although expertise in math is welcome, it is not essential. The activities will be most effective if volunteers…
- Enjoy being with children, in groups or individually
- Encourage trial and error, and collaborative thinking in the group
- Stretch the thinking by asking probing questions
- Time required: 2 hours to prepare, 1-2 hours to conduct activities
- IBMers can apply volunteering hours to their THINK40 total.