Every year, IBM is rated and recognized by publications, advocacy groups, governments and non-governmental organizations. Here we are proud to share highlights of our recognition, just some of the many awards we received in 2014 from local, regional, national and international organizations.
- Fortune - Most Admired Companies
- Fortune - The Most Powerful Women in Business, Ginni Rometty
- Forbes - World’s Most Valuable Brands
- Interbrand - Best Global Brands
- Thomson Reuters - Top 100 Global Innovators
- CR Magazine - 100 Best Corporate Citizens
- Included in the Dow Jones Sustainability Index, North America
- EcoVadis - Gold-level CSR rating
- International Association for Volunteer Effort - Global Corporate Volunteering Program Winner
- HUD/USDA - Secretaries’ Award for Public-Philanthropic Partnerships to Smarter Cities Challenge
- DiversityInc. - Top 10 Companies for Global Diversity
- DiversityInc. - Top 10 Companies for People with Disabilities
- DiversityInc. - Top 10 Companies for LGBT Employees
- Working Mother - 100 Best Companies
- Working Mother - Top 10 Companies for Multicultural Women
- The Times - Top 50 Employers for Women 2014
- Workplace Pride Foundation - World's Most LGBT-inclusive Company
2014 Climate Leadership Award
IBM received a 2014 Climate Leadership Award from the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the Association of Climate Change Officers, the Center for Climate and Energy Solutions and The Climate Registry. The award recognized IBM for attaining our ambitious greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions reduction goal. IBM received the Climate Leadership Award for three consecutive years, 2012-14.
US EPA ENERGY STAR Certification
IBM's Leadership Data Center in Boulder, Colorado, earned the EPA's ENERGY STAR certification, which signifies that the building performs in the top 25 percent of similar facilities nationwide for energy efficiency and meets strict energy efficiency performance levels set by the EPA. This is IBM's first ENERGY STAR certified data center.
US EPA Environmental Merit Award
IBM Burlington, Vermont, was recognized with a 2015 Environmental Merit Award from the EPA for the site's efforts in reducing GHG emissions by more than 30 percent from 2010, while increasing semiconductor production. The projects that contributed to those reductions included modifications to semiconductor process equipment to significantly reduce the process gas flow, heat transfer fluid replacement and substituting gases with lower GHG potential into semiconductor chamber clean operations.
Vermont Governor’s Award
IBM Burlington, Vermont, received two 2015 Vermont Governor’s Awards for Environmental Excellence. One award was for the site's GHG emissions reduction efforts, and the second recognized the site's resource optimization at the industrial wastewater treatment plant. The optimization allowed significant reductions of electricity to run the plant, while improving process reliability and performance. IBM is the only entity in Vermont to receive the governor's recognition every year since the award program was established in 1993 — 22 consecutive years.
Most Valuable Pollution Prevention Award
IBM’s Burlington, Vermont, site received a 2014 Most Valuable Pollution Prevention (MVP2) Award from the National Pollution Prevention Roundtable for resource optimization in our industrial waste water treatment plant, which resulted in reduced energy and chemical usage while maintaining water quality. This was the seventh time the IBM Burlington site has been recognized with an MVP2 Award.
Environment Achievement Award
IBM Rochester, Minnesota, received an Environmental Achievement Award from Olmsted County and Rochester Public Utilities for the site’s outstanding promotion of conservation. The award recognized IBM Rochester’s work on chiller optimization and Smarter Buildings.
Platinum Rating in Certificate of Energy Performance Recognition Scheme
IBM China/Hong Kong was recognized for achieving a platinum rating in the Certificate of Energy Performance Recognition Scheme for office occupants in multi-tenant office buildings from the Hong Kong Green Building Council Limited.
Class of Excellence Wastewi$e Label
IBM Hong Kong received the “Class of Excellence” Wastewi$e label for our commitment to environmental protection and waste reduction in the Hong Kong Awards for Environmental Excellence.
Golden Peacock Award for Sustainability
IBM India received the Golden Peacock Award for Sustainability in 2014 from the Institute of Directors, India. The award recognized IBM for integrating sustainable development into its business strategy and operations, and for applying our expertise, research and technology to develop solutions that help our company, our clients, and the world to address environmental challenges and operate in ways that are more efficient and sustainable.
Reduce, Reuse and Recycle Award
IBM Japan received a Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle (3Rs) Award for sustainable IT management practices from the 3Rs Promotion Council in Japan. The award recognized IBM Japan’s reuse and recycling of end-of-life IT equipment and comprehensive contributions to resource and energy conservation.
Environmental Excellence Award
In June 2015, IBM Mexico was recognized with the Environmental Excellence Award from the Mexican Federal Environmental Protection and Enforcement Agency (PROFEPA) for our outstanding commitment to environmental protection, preservation and social responsibility, and for our continuous improvements in environmental performance. IBM's implementation of EPA's SmartWay program for all our shipments of goods in Mexico, and the development and execution of two Smarter City projects, were among the programs and projects recognized by the award. IBM Mexico has been certified under PROFEPA's Clean Industry Program since 2005.
Outstanding Energy Award
IBM Philippines received an Outstanding Energy Award from the Philippine Department of Energy in the 2014 Don Emilio Abello Energy Efficiency Awards for their energy savings and carbon dioxide (CO2) avoidance.
- Women's Business Development Center — Corporation of the Year
- Women's Business Enterprise National Council — One of America's Top Corporations
- WE USA — 100 Corporations of the Year, Who's Who in Supplier Diversity Development
- Professional Woman's Magazine — Top Diversity Employers; Top Supplier Diversity Programs for Women; Top Lesbian, Gay, Bi-Sexual, Transgender-Friendly Companies; and Top Disability Friendly Companies
- US Agency for International Development — Excellence in Mentoring
- US General Services Agency — Mentor Protege of the Year
- European Diversity Awards — Supplier Diversity Programme of the Year
- UK Employers Network for Equality and Inclusion — Flexible/Agile Working and Inclusive Procurement awards
- DiversityBusiness.com — One of America's Top 50 Organizations for Multicultural Business Opportunities
- Black Equal Opportunity Employment Journal — One of Top Disability-Friendly Companies, and LGBT-Friendly Companies
- Minority Business News — One of America's Most Admired Corporations for Supplier Diversity, and Leader in Supplier Diversity Development
- United States Hispanic Chamber of Commerce — Million Dollar Club
- Asian Enterprise — Corporation of the Year