Changing the primary language
Follow these steps to change the primary language on the system or IBM i logical partition.
- You cannot change your primary language to a language you currently have installed as a secondary language on your system. You must delete the secondary language first before you can change it to your primary language. Go to Option 22. Delete secondary languages for more information about deleting secondary languages.
- If the primary language and the service tools language do not match, you might need to go to dedicated service tools (DST) and reinstall the correct service tools language. For instructions, see Changing the service tools language on your system or logical partition .
If you have secondary logical partitions, you must perform these instructions for each partition to which you change the primary language.
Are you using an image catalog?
If you are using an image catalog (virtual media device) to upgrade, perform this step at least a day before you do the actual installation. Refer to Preparing an optical image catalog to install software for information on how to set up your image catalog and virtual optical device in preparation of installing a primary language.
- Licensed Internal Code for IBM i.
- IBM i operating system, IBM supplied libraries QGPL and QUSRSYS, and all IBM i no-charge options.
- No-charge licensed programs and keyed products.
- Single licensed programs.
Ensure that your catalog is in ready status and that all image catalog entries are in loaded or mounted status. Use the panel option to arrange the catalog entries in the order described. When the catalog entries are in the correct order, use F7 to prompt for the VFYIMGCLG command. Enter *LNG for the TYPE field and *YES for the SORT field to prepare the catalog for installing a primary language. An alternative method for preparing the catalog would be to run the following command after the catalog entries are in the correct order:
VFYIMGCLG IMGCLG(catalog-name) TYPE(*LNG) SORT(*YES)
Steps for changing the primary language
- Begin at the IBM i Main Menu (or
the menu you chose as your initial menu). Load the first volume of the media that contains the Licensed Internal Code. Have the operating system (5770-SS1) media available. Remove other media from devices that are not involved in these procedures.Note: Do not load your secondary language media at this time.
- Use the control panel to switch the mode to Manual.
PWRDWNSYS OPTION(*IMMED) RESTART(*YES)and press Enter.Note: The default value for the Power Down System (PWRDWNSYS) command is to display a confirmation. The default can be changed by specifying *NO for the CONFIRM parameter:
- Wait for the IPL or Install the System panel to appear
on your console.
IPL or Install the System System: XXXX Select one of the following: 1. Perform an IPL 2. Install the operating system 3. Use Dedicated Service Tools (DST) 4. Perform automatic installation of the operating system 5. Save Licensed Internal Code
2(Install the operating system) and press Enter.
Install Device Type Selection System: XXXX Select the installation device type: 1. Tape 2. Optical 3. Virtual device - preselected image catalog 4. Current alternate selected device None 5. Network device
2(Optical) and press Enter.Note: If you are using an image catalog, you would select option 3 (Virtual device - preselected image catalog) instead of option 2.
- The Confirm Install of the Operating System display is shown on your console. Press Enter.
- The Select a Language Group panel shows the primary language
currently installed on the system. Change the primary language of
your system by specifying the language feature code of the secondary
language media on this display.
For example, assume the primary language is English (2924) and you are using secondary language media to change it to Portuguese (2922). This display would appear showing 2924. You would type 2922.
Select a Language Group System: XXXX Note: The language feature shown is the language feature installed on the system. Type choice, press Enter. Language feature . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2924
Type the numbers of the feature code for the language you want and press Enter.
- After the language feature code is entered, either the
Confirm Language Feature Selection display or the Confirm Service
Tools Language display appears on your console. Changing the service tools language and the primary language.
Confirm Service Tools Language Language feature . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 2922 The IBM Licensed Internal Code (I.BASE.01) V7R3M0 media is required. Press Enter to confirm your choice to install the service tools language. Press F5 to bypass installing the service tools language and continue installing the operating system. Press F12 to return to change your choice.Confirm Language Feature Selection display when changing the primary language.Press Enter.
Confirm Language Feature Selection System: SYSTEM1 Language feature . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 2922 Press Enter to confirm your choice for language feature. Installing the system will continue. Press F12 to return to change your choice for language feature. F3=Exit F12=Cancel
- Some status displays appear on the console. You do not
need to respond to any of these status displays. The following is
an example of a status display:
The following list shows some of the IPL steps that are shown on the IPL Step in Progress display.
Licensed Internal Code IPL in Progress IPL: Type . . . . . . . . . : Attended Start date and time . . : xx/xx/xx xx:xx:xx Previous system end . . : Normal Current step/total. . . : 1 16 Reference code detail . : C6004050 IPL step . . . . . . : Storage Management Recovery
- Authority Recovery
- Journal Recovery
- Database Recovery
- Journal Synchronization
- Start the Operating System
Some of the IPL steps could take a long time.
- You see the following display.
Message Message ID . . . . . . : CPA2055 Type . . . . . . . : Inquiry From program . . . . . : ITLOADFO Severity . . . . . : 99 Message . . . . . : The next volume in the sequence is needed to continue the installation process. Cause . . . . . . : The end of the volume has been reached. Recovery . . . . : Load the next volume on the installation device. Type choice, press Enter. Reply . . . . . 1 1=Continue, 2=End installing
Load the first volume of the IBM supplied installation media that contains the operating system.
- The Install the Operating System display appears when the
IPL is complete.
Install the Operating System Type options, press Enter. Install option . . . . . 2 1=Take defaults (No other options are displayed) 2=Change install options Date: Year . . . . . . __ 00-99 Month . . . . . __ 01-12 Day . . . . . . __ 01-31 Time: Hour . . . . . . __ 00-23 Minute . . . . . __ 00-59 Second . . . . . __ 00-59Type the following and press Enter.
- Install option:
- Date (Use the current year, month, and day.)
- Time (Use the current time, 24-hour clock.)
- Install option:
- The Installation Status display appears. You do not need to respond to this display.
- The Specify Install Options display appears.
Specify Install Options Type options, press Enter. Restore option . . . . . 4 1=Restore programs and language objects from the current media set 2=Do not restore programs or language objects 3=Restore only language objects from current media set 4=Restore only language objects from a different media set using the current install device. Job and output queues option . . . . 2 1=Clear, 2=Keep Distribute IBM i on available disk units . . . 2 1=Yes, 2=No
- Type either of the following for the restore option:
3(Restore only language objects from current media set) if you are installing from the primary language media.
4(Restore only language objects from a different media set using the current install device) if you are installing from the secondary language media.
2for the Job and output queues option and press Enter.
- Type either of the following for the restore option:
- Based on the type of media you are using, perform either
of the following steps:
- If you are using secondary language media, the
Installation Status display appears. You do not need to respond to
this display. When the following message appears, load the volume
that contains secondary language media.
Message Message ID . . . . . . : CPA2057 Type . . . . . . : Inquiry From program . . . . . : XXXXXXX Severity . . . . : 99 Language ID . . . . . . : 2922 Message . . . . . . : The installation media containing language objects for the system language is needed to continue the installation process. Recovery . . . . . : Load the installation media containing language objects for the specified language. Type choice, press Enter. Reply . . . . . 1 1=Continue, 2=End installing
1and press Enter.
The system searches through the media and loads the necessary language information. The Installation Status display appears, indicating that the language is being changed (in stage 3). The installation continues through the remaining stages. This display does not require a response.
- If you are using primary language media, insert the correct media when you are prompted.
- If you are using secondary language media, the Installation Status display appears. You do not need to respond to this display. When the following message appears, load the volume that contains secondary language media.
- After the base part of the operating system is changed to the new primary language, the Sign On display appears on your console. Continue with the steps to change the language objects for the licensed programs in Installing the licensed programs after changing the primary language.