Defining new deployments
To deploy software, you must define a new deployment. To do so, use the New action provided in the Deployments table.
Before you begin
Verify that you have already installed the software to be deployed because installation of software or service upgrades is outside the scope of the Software Management task. You can use SMP/E or CustomPac offerings to assist with the installation process.
About this task
When you complete a step in the checklist, your input is saved; therefore, you can exit the checklist after completing any step. To do so, click Close on the Deployment Checklist page. You can proceed with the deployment at a later time. For more details, see help topic Modifying and resuming deployments.
For a description of the changes that will occur on the target system during the deployment, see help topic Making changes on the target system.
- To display the Deployments table,
complete one of the following steps:
- Click Deployments on the Software Management page.
- Select Deployments from the Switch To menu provided on the Software Instances page and the Products page.
- In the Software Instances view, invoke the Open Deployments action.
- In the Portable Software Instances view, invoke the Open Deployments action.
- In the Deployments table, select New from the Actions menu. The Deployment Checklist page is displayed.
- Click Specify the properties for this deployment. Then, specify the name, description, and categories to use for the deployment. Click OK to create the deployment. For more details, see help topic Specify Deployment Properties page.
- Click Select the software to deploy. Then, select the source software instance. You can select only one software instance or portable software instance. Click OK to select the source software for the deployment. For more details, see help topic Select Software page.
- Click Select the objective for this deployment and complete the steps provided in help topic Select Deployment Objective page.
- Click Check for missing SYSMODs, and complete the steps in the Check for Missing SYSMODs wizard. For more details, see help topic Check for Missing SYSMODs wizard.
- Click Configure this deployment, and complete the steps in the Configure Deployment wizard. For more details, see help topic Configure Deployment wizard.
- Click Define the job settings, and provide the job settings that z/OSMF needs to create the deployment jobs. Click OK to generate the deployment jobs and summary. For more details about the job settings, see help topic Define Job Settings page.
- Click Submit deployment jobs, and submit the jobs in sequential order. For more details about the deployment jobs, see help topic Submit Deployment Jobs page.
- Click Specify the properties for the target
software instance, and complete the following steps:
- Specify the name, description, and categories to use for the target software instance. For more details, see help topic Specify Target Software Instance Properties page.
- Click OK to add or update an entry for the target instance in the Software Instances table. After which, z/OSMF attempts to collect information about the products, features, and FMIDs that are contained in the software instance. For more information about retrieving this information, see help topic Retrieving product information from SMP/E global and target zones.
z/OSMF sets the deployment to complete and disables the description link for each step except the first step. Links to any output generated for a step remain enabled.