The IBM z/OS Connect API toolkit
The IBM z/OS Connect API toolkit is an Eclipse-based workstation tool that you install into IBM Explorer for z/OS to create services and REST APIs for accessing z/OS resources.
In the API toolkit, you can create two types of projects: service projects and API projects.
Service projects and service creation
You can create a CICS®, IMS, Db2®, or IBM MQ service in a IBM z/OS Connect service project.
For Db2, the provided service project editor guides you through the steps to import a Db2 native REST service definition from Db2.
For CICS, IMS, and IBM MQ, the provided service project editor and service interface editor guide you through the steps to import COBOL copybooks, PL/I include files, or full programs and to customize the service interface. The service interface defines what fields to expose and how they are exposed in the service.
- Fields and data structures can be renamed and remarks can be added, allowing API creators to better understand and use the underlying services.
- Fields can be excluded from the interface.
- Data structures can be duplicated and the order can be adjusted (order is important for IMS segments).
- Complex data structures such as REDEFINES and OCCURS DEPENDING ON clauses for COBOL and REFER in PL/I are supported.
API projects and API creation
You can create REST APIs from any service archives in a IBM z/OS Connect API project. An API editor and a mapping editor are included to help you model and create the APIs for your IBM z/OS Connect services.
- Create your API by specifying the path, query, and header parameters in the API editor.
- View services on connected servers.
- Deploy APIs to the servers.
- Visually inspect the APIs in the embedded Swagger UI.
- Start and stop the APIs.
- Immediately test the APIs directly from the editor.