An introduction to containers
Understand what containers are and how they are used by IBM® z/OS® Connect.
Containers and container concepts
- The following article explores the history of containerization, the benefits and advantages of using the technology, and how it relates to virtualization:
- The benefits of containers
- The following articles look at the importance of containers in cloud computing, highlighting the core benefits, and tour the emerging ecosystem of related technologies:
- Cloud native applications
- The following article explores cloud native applications and how they drive innovation and speed within your enterprise:
An introduction to Docker
Docker is an open source platform for building, deploying, and managing containerized applications. In this documentation, the quick start tutorials use Docker Desktop to run the z/OS Connect Designer image.
IBM z/OS Connect as a containerized application
- Each layer is an image itself that stores the changes compared to the image it is based on.
- Layers exist to save on computational effort and time when building images.
- Layers are used to avoid transferring existing information and skip the build steps that have not changed.