Returning an existing license key
For perpetual license entitlements, USB hardware device activations are set to expire one year from the date that an update file is generated. For this type of entitlement, you can return previously generated update files at any time, and generate a new update file.
For term license entitlements, if term expiration occurs in more than one year, USB hardware device activations are set to expire one year from the date that an update file is generated. Update files can be returned and generated again before term expiration. If term expiration occurs in less than one year, USB hardware device activations are set to expire at term end. After the term end, update files cannot be generated in the Rational® License Key Center.
To generate a new update file, you must first return the existing license entitlement in the Rational License Key Center. Then, generate a new update file. Returning the license entitlements is a process of telling the Rational License Key Center that you are no longer using the license entitlements that you previously assigned to your USB hardware device. You do not need to return the physical update file to the Rational License Key Center.
You can return a license entitlement in the Rational License Key Center in several ways. The easiest way is to use the View Keys by Host link. You can also use the Return Keys link.
For ZD&T Personal Edition, the term host in the Rational License Key Center refers to the USB hardware device that is uniquely identified by its serial number.
- Log in to Rational License Key Center (RLKC), and select your account.
- On the left side of the screen, select View Keys by Host.
- Select the serial number of the USB hardware device you want to work with. This serial number is in the Host ID column.
- A table is displayed with data for the selected USB hardware device. At the far right of the table, click the Change link.
- You see a list of devices with license entitlements that are assigned to them from the same Order Line. Locate the serial number of the USB hardware device that you are working with, and click Return. A message is displayed to confirm that the license entitlements were successfully returned.