IBM® Watson IoT Platform - Message GatewayTM delivers scalable connectivity for the Internet of Things, providing a solution to help you to connect all your devices, sensors and systems to the enterprise.
IBM Watson IoT Platform - Message Gateway is designed to scale, allowing millions of devices, including sensors and mobiles, to connect in a reliable, secure way. Some of these devices might be simple sensors, designed for publishing data. Other devices are more sophisticated - designed for carrying out complex actions or for taking part in bi-directional interactions.
IBM Watson IoT Platform - Message Gateway takes advantage of lightweight MQTT protocol for communication between devices, sensors and mobile. Mobile devices can connect using MQTT over HTML5/WebSockets. For enterprise connectivity, IBM Watson IoT Platform - Message Gateway can connect by using MQ and JMS in addition to MQTT, with load balancing support for WebSphere® Application Server (WAS). You can even add custom, industry-specific messaging protocols to IBM Watson IoT Platform - Message Gateway in a controlled way that does not compromise the security of the server environment by using the protocol plug-in feature.
- Support for MQTT version 5.0
- New features in MQTT version 5 include scalability enhancements, and improvements in error reporting and performance.
- Ability to bridge between servers
- The IBM Watson IoT Platform - Message Gateway (Bridge) provides a way of forwarding MQTT messages from one MQTT server to another. You can define one or more source connections, and one or more destination connections, and a set of forwarding rules.
- The Bridge also supports IBM Event Streams as a destination.
- Improvements in monitoring
- You can list and filter connected clients, and view statistics for all MQTT client IDs that are connected to IBM Watson IoT Platform - Message Gateway. Additional statistics are also provided for connected and disconnected clients and subscriptions.
- Availability of administrative subscriptions
- Use administrative subscriptions to allow ephemeral clients to share a subscription that is not removed, along with any buffered messages, in the event of all clients being disconnected due to a network outage.
- Enhanced capability to optimize memory usage
- Select the connections that can send and receive large numbers of messages to optimize memory usage. This features allows the connection of large numbers of small devices with minimal memory usage, as well as high throughput devices with greater associated bandwidth.
- Ability to automatically remove unused client state
- You can automatically delete clients that have not connected for a specified length of time by setting a session expiry interval. The interval specifies the maximum amount of time that a session is kept alive before expiring.
IBM Watson IoT Platform - Message Gateway version 5.0 can provide a solution to the following business scenarios:
Managing large numbers of application endpoints
The ubiquity of TCP/IP over WiFi, 3G, and 4G makes it feasible for users and devices to consume and produce messages across the globe.
IBM Watson IoT Platform - Message Gateway is a messaging server, able to support clients that are connected to it using various protocols. IBM Watson IoT Platform - Message Gateway provides solutions to the following modern day challenges:
- An explosion in the number of smartphones and tablets
An explosion in the number of smartphones and tablets is creating many endpoints. Consumers expect near real-time communication between their devices and applications. Building these applications relies on a scalable, bi-directional communications infrastructure. Emerging standards, such as HTML5 WebSockets, provide the basis for building rich mobile, intranet, and internet web applications.
IBM Watson IoT Platform - Message Gateway is a highly scalable middleware messaging product that provides the full-duplex web communication that is required for rich internet, intranet, and mobile applications
- Device to device communication
The internet is no longer just about web browsing - it is becoming a mesh of devices such as sensors, monitors, machines, and cars. These devices are becoming interconnected. Each of these device nodes wants to publish data, consume data, or both in near real-time. Applications want to consume data from these nodes, send data, or both. This Internet of Things provides new challenges for traditional messaging infrastructures in terms of numbers of connected devices and the associated volume of messages.
Protocols such as MQTT provide low-bandwidth, optimized publish/subscribe capabilities for a broad spectrum of devices.
IBM Watson IoT Platform - Message Gateway is the messaging gateway for all of these connected devices.
Big data requires big connectivity
Everyone wants to analyze data, but how do you consume large volumes of data and distribute this data to business and analytic applications? HTTP-based communication across the Internet has difficulty in scaling to meet the demands of the interconnected world.
IBM Watson IoT Platform - Message Gateway provides scalable, high throughput, and assured delivery.