Overview of IBM Wazi as a Service
IBM® Wazi as a Service is a solution that enables a cloud native development and test experience for z/OS in IBM Cloud Virtual Private Cloud (VPC). With Wazi as a Service, application developers can develop and test z/OS application components in a virtual infrastructure "as a Service" environment running on IBM Z architecture on IBM Public Cloud. It gives you cloud security, with the ability to scale dynamically by providing on-demand access to z/OS resources where and when you need them, integrated with public cloud services and configured for integration with your existing DevOps tools.
IBM Wazi as a Service is now generally available in Japan (Tokyo), Brazil (São Paulo), Canada (Toronto), United Kingdom (London), US East (Washington DC), US South (Dallas), and Spain (Madrid) regions in IBM Cloud VPC.
Check out the video playlist on IBM MediaCenter to learn more.
IBM Wazi as a Service provides the following key capabilities:
- z/OS development and test stock image: You can use the default z/OS stock image to creates and configure a z/OS virtual server instance for development and test in IBM Cloud VPC from the IBM Cloud console.
- IBM Wazi Image Builder: You can create and manage custom images from an existing Z platform by using Wazi Image Builder. It includes a web UI with role-based access and REST APIs to streamline the creation process. You can then deploy the custom images to IBM Cloud VPC to create a virtual server instance.
Then, you can use your industry standard integrated development environment (IDE) to build, test, and debug your applications.
For more information about using z/OS virtual server instances for development and test, see Use cases.
IBM Wazi as a Service brings z/OS environments to IBM Cloud and can be integrated into existing development practices. It facilitates the transition to the latest development practices and frameworks like SAFe, Agile, Lean, and DevOps.
This solution provides the following benefits:
- Bridges the gap between the developer experience on distributed and mainframe platform during development of hybrid applications that contain z/OS application components.
- Delivers cloud native development experience for z/OS that is optimized to run on IBM Cloud.
- Allows developers to develop and test z/OS applications by using an IBM Cloud environment.
- Helps developers unfamiliar with z/OS and IBM Z get up to speed quickly and become productive in developing and delivering applications.
- Supports edit, build, and debug through integration with industry standard IDEs such as VS Code or Eclipse .
- Helps developers rapidly assess the impact of the changes that they want to make as often as needed.
- Rebalances entitlement over time flexibly based on your business needs.