The following list summarized common files and applications that will be discussed throughout the rest of the Data Explorer Engine documentation:
- The query-meta CGI script. This script is a self-contained application built using the Data Explorer Engine library. It can query multiple data sources simultaneously and remotely, via HTTP, and cluster their combined outputs.
- XML configuration files:
- data/repository.xml: The location in which your search applications and their components are stored. This includes definitions of Sources, Search Engine, collections of knowledge called Knowledge Bases, customizations of the Customizing the User Interface, and Projects, which tie all of these items together.
- data/repository-internal.xml: A central location for Data Explorer Engine XML configuration data, search applications, and components that are provided as a part of the Data Explorer Engine product.
- data/users.xml: Contains profiles of the users. This includes the usernames and passwords (encrypted) for sources requiring user-level authentication.
- A CGI application called admin (admin.exe on Microsoft Windows systems) that provides an easy-to-use graphical interface (see Tutorial: Using the Watson™ Explorer Engine Administration Tool) for creating and modifying Data Explorer Engine applications, their components, and associated configuration files.
Unless you are planning to integrate Data Explorer Engine into another application or use Data Explorer Engine for an advanced application, you will not need to use Data Explorer Engine at the API level. Data Explorer Engine relies heavily on XML and XSL to support extremely flexible customization. Because XSL is interpreted at run time, there is no need to recompile any code. You can create very diverse applications using only the query-meta script and configuring the software via the administrative interface.
If you do need to use the API, we recommend that you read Integrating Watson Explorer Engine with Other Software for further information.