These options are in the Java converters sub-section of the General Settings for a search collection.
- Java converters connection timeout - Specifies the number of seconds to wait for a Java-based converter to respond when attempting to connect before giving up. The default is 30 seconds - if you find it takes longer than 30 seconds for the JVM to start and respond back to the crawler, increase the number of seconds.
- Java converters connection tries - Specifies the number of times to attempt to connect to a Java-based converter before giving up (each attempt will be for the number of seconds specified in the Java converters connection timeout field). The default is 3 times.
- Java converters initial heap size - Specifies the number of megabytes to initially allocate for Java-based converters. For Java converters that may use a substantial amount of memory, it is more efficient to allocate it initially. Setting this option too high will waste memory. The default value for this option is 20 megabytes.
- Java converters maximum heap size - Specifies the maximum number of megabytes to allocate for Java-based converters. If a Java converter uses a lot of memory, you might want to set this option to a high value to prevent the converter from running out of memory. Setting this option too low will cause Java to work harder to free up memory, and may eventually cause a Java converter to fail. The default value for this option is 1024 megabytes.
Additional Java converter JVM options - Specifies additional arguments to the JVM
process. If more than one JVM is used, these options will be used when all of the JVMs are
created. Enter options in the same format as you would on the command line. Note: Any option that is entered here is not validated. If you enter an incorrect JVM option, it could cause the JVM to not start and the crawler to hang. Use at your own risk.
- Java converter logging configuration - This specifies logging options for all Java
converters. The value entered must be a valid Log4j XML configuration. By default, logging
is turned off. The
%LOGDIRtoken is replaced with the full path to the temp directory. The
%TMPtoken is replaced with five random letters.
- Additional Java converter JVMs - Enables you to create separate 'named' JVMs to use to divide up the work of Java converters across JVM processes. This field uses XML of the form: <crawler-jvm name="JVM-name"/>. The name attribute is required, and can be used to configure specific Java converters to use a specific JVM, with a specific configuration. The XML in this field can also contain optional initial-heap-size and max-heap-size attributes that provide specific (positive) values for the Java converters initial heap size and Java converters maximum heap size configuration options in megabytes. If these attributes are not specified, the values set in these options (or the default values) will be used.