Integration with IBM License Metric Tool
IBM Watson Explorer generates IBM® Software License Metric Tag (SLMT) files. Versions of IBM License Metric Tool that support IBM Software License Metric Tag can generate License Consumption Reports. Read this section to interpret these reports for Watson Explorer, and to configure the generation of the IBM Software License Metric Tag files.
Each instance of a running Watson Explorer generates an IBM
Software License Metric Tag file. The metrics monitored are
APPLICATION. Their values are refreshed every 24 hours.
About the CLIENT_DEVICE metric
can have the following subtypes:
- Active devices
- The number of client devices that used the Watson Explorer runtime environment, or another Watson Explorer runtime instance belonging to the same cluster or server farm, and that were not decommissioned.
- Inactive devices
- The number of client devices that used the Watson Explorer runtime environment, or another Watson Explorer runtime instance belonging to the same cluster or server farm, and that were decommissioned.
About the APPLICATION metric
APPLICATION metric has no subtypes unless the Watson Explorer runtime
environment is running in a development server.
The value reported for this metric is the number of applications that are deployed in the Watson Explorer runtime environment. Each application is counted as one unit, whether it is a new application, an additional brand deployment, or an additional type of an existing application (such as native, hybrid, or web).
number of applications is monitored even if wl.device.tracking.enabled is
Configuring IBM License Metric Tool log files
By default, the IBM Software License Metric Tag files are in the following directories:
- On Microsoft Windows operating systems: %ProgramFiles%\ibm\common\slm
- On Linux® or UNIX operating systems: /var/ibm/common/slm
If the directories are not writable, the files are created in the log directory of the application server that runs the Watson Explorer runtime environment.
You can configure the location and management of those files with the following properties:
- license.metric.logger.output.dir: The location of the IBM Software License Metric Tag files
- license.metric.logger.file.size: The maximum size of an SLMT file before a rotation is performed. The default size is 1 MB.
- license.metric.logger.file.number: The maximum number of SLMT archive files to keep in rotations. The default number is 10.
To change the default values, you must create a Java™ property file, with the format
and provide the path to the properties file through the license_metric_logger_configuration JVM