Creating and Configuring an Internet Information Services (IIS) Directory
To use Watson™ Explorer Engine on Windows for production using a Microsoft Internet Information System (IIS) 8.5 or higher web server, you must create a virtual directory and configure it. A Powershell script, createVDir.ps1, is included to create an IIS virtual directory. You can also create an IIS virtual directory manually.
About this task
- ISAPI Extensions
- ISAPI Filters
- IIS Management Scripts and Tools
To run the createVDir.ps1 Powershell script:
- From the command line, enter Powershell C:\Program Files\IBM\WEX\Engine\bin> .\createVDir.ps1 "C:\Program Files\IBM\WEX\Engine\www"
- If successful, the following message will display: Created virtual directory 'vivisimo' at 'C:\Program Files\IBM\WEX\Engine\www' for site 'Default Web Site'
If you prefer to create your IIS virtual directory manually in IIS 8.5 or higher (or have already done so), see the steps below.
- Open the Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager. Create a new virtual directory by choosing New from the Action menu, and then clicking Virtual Directory.
A wizard will then guide you through creating a Virtual Directory. Enter the following
information when prompted:
- Alias: enter the new virtual directory name. The recommended alias for a manually-created virtual directory is vivisimo.
- Path: enter the full path name of the www folder of the Watson Explorer Engine installation directory (by default C:\Program Files\IBM\WEX\Engine\www).
- Permissions: Select Read, Run Scripts, and Execute.
Click Finish to save the definition for the new virtual
After manually creating a virtual directory, you will need to integrate it into your Watson Explorer Engine installation if the name of the virtual directory that you created (its
Alias) is not vivisimo, which is the default value for a Watson Explorer Engine virtual directory. To tell your Watson Explorer Engine installation to use a custom virtual directory:
- Edit the file vivisimo.conf, which is located in the directory in which you installed Watson Explorer Engine.
Add a statement like the following inside the <options>
Replace VIRTUAL-DIRECTORY with the name of the virtual directory that you created for Watson Explorer Engine, preceded and followed by a forward slash (/).
For example, if you set the name of the virtual directory for your Watson Explorer Engine installation to search, you would add the following entry to your vivisimo.conf file:
Save the updated file and restart your Watson Explorer Engine
installation to ensure that it uses the new
base-urlsetting when constructing internal URLs. See Command-Line Watson Explorer Engine Administration Commands for information on using the engine-shutdown and engine-start commands to restart your Watson Explorer Engine installation.