Accessing the samples
The product offers samples that demonstrate common enterprise application tasks. Many samples also provide instructions for deployment and coding examples.
- Plants By WebSphere sample installed with the product
- If you select to install samples when installing the product and when creating an application server profile, the Plants By WebSphere application is included with the product. The application demonstrates several Java™ Platform, Enterprise Edition (Java EE) functions, using an online store that specializes in plant and garden tool sales.
- Samples downloadable from the Samples in the WebSphere Application Server Version 8.5 documentation.
- The product provides component-specific samples that you can download at any time from a download site.
Installing the Plants By WebSphere sample
To install the Plants By WebSphere sample, perform the following steps.
- Install the product.
When specifying installation or profile options, select to install the sample applications.
Plants By WebSphere sample is installed in the app_server_root/samples directory. A Plants By WebSphere pre-built enterprise archive named pbw-ear.ear is in the /samples/PlantsByWebSphere/pbw-ear/target directory.
Installation instructions are in the /samples/PlantsByWebSphere/docs directory.
You can build or modify the sample source code to support your project. The source code is in a src directory.
- Start the application server.
- Service Component Architecture (SCA) samples
- The SCA samples support SCA specifications. SCA services are packaged
in Java archive (JAR) files that you import as assets to the product
repository and then add as composition units to business-level applications.
Download SCA.zip, or individual sample files, to a directory on your workstation. You might create the /samples/sca directory path on your workstation and download SCA sample files to that directory path.
You must deploy SCA sample files as assets of a business-level application to a Version 8.0 or later server or to a Version 7.0 target that is enabled for the Feature Pack for SCA. The SCA/installableApps directory of SCA.zip contains prebuilt archives that you can deploy as assets. The other directories contain sample-specific source files, scripts, and instructions for building deployable archives.
- Communications Enabled Applications (CEA) samples
- The CEA sample applications provide two main services, telephony access and multi-modal web interaction. Use this collection of sample applications to explore the services and to use as a starting point when developing your own communication enabled applications.
- OSGi samples
- The OSGi samples help you develop and deploy modular applications that use both Java EE and OSGi technologies.
- XML samples
- The XML samples demonstrate use of the XML API and supported specifications.
- Internationalization service sample
- The Internationalization service sample demonstrates how to use the internationalization service in Java EE applications, specifically within servlets and enterprise beans.
- Web services samples
These samples demonstrate both Java API for XML-based RPC (JAX-RPC) and Java API for XML Web Services (JAX-WS) web services that use Java Platform, Enterprise Edition (Java EE) beans and JavaBeans components.
The JAX-WS web service samples demonstrate the implementation of one-way and two-way web services that highlight the use of web services standards such as WS-Addressing (WS-A) , WS-Reliable Messaging (WS-RM), and WS-Secure Conversation (WS-SC) and the SOAP Message Transmission Optimization Mechanism (MTOM) technology.
- Service Data Objects (SDO) sample
- This sample demonstrates data access to a relational database through Service Data Objects (SDO) and Java DataBase Connectivity (JDBC) Mediator technologies.
- Go to the Samples, Version 8.5 documentation.
- Determine which samples you want to download.
- On the Downloads tab for the samples that you want, click a Download Sample link.
- In the authentication window, click OK.
- Download the compressed file, or individual sample files, to a directory on your
You might create the /samples/sample_type directory path on your workstation and download the sample files to that directory path.
Many sample compressed files have an /installableApps directory that contains deployable prebuilt archives. Other directories contain files such as sample-specific source archives, scripts, and instructions for building deployable archives.
To deploy them to the application server, you can use the administrative console or use the install script in the app_server_root/samples/bin directory.
Limitations of the samples
- The samples are for demonstration purposes only.
The code that is provided is not intended to run in a secured production environment. The samples support Java 2 Security, therefore the samples implement policy-based access control that checks for permissions on protected system resources, such as file I/O.
The samples also support administrative security.
Additional samples and examples
- Samples in tutorials
- Many product tutorials rely on sample code. To find tutorials that demonstrate specific technologies, browse the links in Tutorials.
- Examples in the product documentation
- The product documentation contains many code snippets and examples. To locate these examples easily, see the developer examples in the Reference section of the documentation navigation for the product edition that you are using.