Selecting the version of a core group protocol
There are two major categories or groups of high availability manager protocols. Both of these protocol groups can be independently configured to use newer versions of the protocols.
Before you begin
Before you change the version of a core group protocol for a particular core group member, make sure that:
- You are familiar with the content of the Core group protocol
versions topic. This topic contains information that is helpful
- Which protocol category you want to configure.
- The custom property that you must use to configure this protocol category.
- You use the tables that are included in the Core group protocol versions topic to determine in which releases or service packs each protocol version was added to the product.
- You verify that each member of the core group is running at a product code level (VRM) that supports the new protocol version. The code level must be equal to or greater than the code level in which this protocol version was added to the product. All core group members with which the new protocol version is associated must support that protocol version.
About this task
The high availability manager can use any supported core group protocol versions. However, to ensure that proper communication continues between all core group members, you must make sure that all member of a particular core group use the same version of a core group protocol.
To change the version of a core group protocol complete the following steps.
- In the administrative console, click and select an existing core group.
- Under Additional Properties, click .
- Change the value of either the IBM_CS_WIRE_FORMAT_VERSION
or IBM_CS_HAM_PROTOCOL_VERSION custom property.
If you are updating the lower-level protocols, which are also referred to as the lower-level wire format protocols, change the value of the IBM_CS_WIRE_FORMAT_VERSION custom property.
If you are updating the higher level protocols, which are also referred to as the high availability manager protocols, change the value of the IBM_CS_HAM_PROTOCOL_VERSION custom property.
To update either of these custom properties, complete one of the following substeps:
- If the property that you want to update does not already
exist, click New and then specify either
IBM_CS_HAM_PROTOCOL_VERSIONin the Name field and the appropriate version ID in the Value field.
- If the property that you need to update already exists, click on the property name, and specify the appropriate version ID in the field.
- If the property that you want to update does not already exist, click New and then specify either
- Click OK, and then click Review.
- Select Synchronize changes with nodes, and then click Save.
What to do next
You can check your SystemOut.log file or, for z/OS, either SYSOUT or SYSPRINT, for DCSV0005I and HMGR0226I messages.
DCSV0005I: DCS Stack DefaultCoreGroup at Member DIAMONDCell01\DIAMONDCellManager01\dmgr: Started. Stack version information: DCSBV_WAS6_1_20060409. Stack protocol information: 61002.
The Stack protocol information value at the end of this message indicates the protocol version that is being used. For example, a value of 51001 means the 6.0.0 version is being used. A value of 61002 means the 6.1.0 version is being used.
HMGR0226I: The core stack configuration parameter IBM_CS_HAM_PROTOCOL_VERSION has been set to 22.214.171.124.
This message indicates that the high availability manager protocol version 126.96.36.199 is being used.