Defragmenting the internal database for improved performance
As IBM Traveler installations become larger and run for extended periods of time, the internal database will grow in size. This can affect system performance. You can defragment the database to compact and optimize its performance.
The defragmentation feature can only be run at startup using the steps outlined below. As of IBM Traveler 184.108.40.206 and later releases, the defrag command will run automatically as part of database migration resulting from a server upgrade. Run the defrag command approximately once a month for optimal system health.
What is the IBM Traveler internal database?
- Shutdown the IBM Traveler and the Domino® HTTP tasks on
tell traveler quit tell http quit
- Ensure both the HTTP and Traveler processes are completely stopped.
- Start IBM Traveler using the defrag parameter
load traveler -defrag
- The defrag command runs as the server starts.
The server normally starts once the defrag operation
completes. Note: The defragmentation operation may take more than 30 minutes to complete depending on database size and system capabilities.
- If the Domino HTTP task is not started automatically by
IBM Traveler, then start it manually using the following command.
Running defragmentation on a scheduled basis (220.127.116.11 and later)
- Use the tell command DBMaint set interval in order to set the interval to a
number greater than 0. For example, to set an interval of 30 days, enter into the
tell traveler dbmaint set interval 30
- Use the tell command DBMaint set auto on to turn on automatic defragmentation.
- To force a defragmentation, enter the command tell traveler dbmaint run. This sets NTS_DEFRAG_ONCE to 1 and the Derby database will be defragmented the next time the IBM Traveler server restarts.
Running defragmentation on a scheduled basis (18.104.22.168 to 22.214.171.124)
- Add NTS_DEFRAG_INTERVAL_DAYS to the notes.ini file. For
example, to set an interval of 30 days add:
- Restart the IBM Traveler server. From that point on, if the IBM Traveler server is restarted and it has been 30 days since the last defragmentation, then the defrag operation will run.
- To force a defragmentation, simply delete the parameter NTS_LAST_DEFRAG from the notes.ini file and restart the server. If NTS_DEFRAG_INTERVAL_DAYS is set and there is no last defragmentation timestamp, then the server will perform a defragmentation and reset the NTS_LAST_DEFRAG timestamp. For details on how to schedule a defragmentation of the database on versions earlier than 126.96.36.199, see IBM® Traveler Database Defragmentation for Improved Performance .