Adding a computer system template for an operating system
A computer system template can specify information about a particular operating system you want to discover. Use this type of computer system template if you want to discover additional detail beyond the information collected by an operating system sensor.
By creating a computer system template for an operating system, you can specify additional configuration files that you want to be included in the information gathered during discovery.
To add a computer system template for an operating system:
- In the Functions pane of the Discovery Management Console,
click .The Computer Systems pane is displayed.
- In the Computer Systems pane, click Add.
The Computer System Details window is displayed.
- In the Name field, type a name for
the computer system template. This is the name that will appear in the list in the Computer Systems pane.
- In the Action field, select Discover to specify that computer systems matching the template are to be discovered.
- To enable the template, click Enabled.
Only enabled templates are used to detect matching systems.
- To select an icon to associate with the computer system
template, click Browse and select the icon
that you want to use. The icon you select will be used to represent discovered computer systems that match the template in the TADDM UI.
- Select Operating System to specify that you are creating an operating system template.
- In the Identifying Criteria field,
select the appropriate operating system from the list. The template will match all computer systems running the specified operating system.
- Click the Config Files tab.
The Config Files page is displayed.
- On the Config Files page, click Add.
The Search Path for Capture File window is displayed.
- From the Search Path list, select
one of the following search paths for the configuration file:
- The root of the file system.
- The current working directory of the running program.
- The home directory of the user ID of the running program.
- A directory on your local computer.
- The program files directory.
- The system root directory
In the text field, type the path and file name of the configuration file you want to capture, or type an asterisk (*) to specify all files in the selected directory.
- To capture the contents of the specified configuration file, select Capture file contents. If you want to limit the amount of captured data, select Limit size of captured file to and specify the maximum number of bytes of the captured configuration file.
- To search for the specified file in subdirectories of the specified location select Recurse Directory Search (if you use TADDM 22.214.171.124, or later), or Recurse Directory Content (if you use TADDM 126.96.36.199, or earlier).
- After you have finished specifying information for the computer system template, click OK.
- Optional: You can extend discovery of operating
systems with commands or Jython scripts. For more information about extending computer system templates, see Extending custom server and computer system templates.
The new template is available immediately; you do not need to restart the TADDM server. The information you specified will be used to display the matching computer systems in the TADDM user interface; any configuration files you specified in the template are available in the Config Files tab for the discovered systems.