Creating Map Visualizations
For many visualizations, you have to make only two choices: fields (variables) of interest and a template to visualize those fields. No additional choices or actions are required. Map visualizations require at least one additional step: select a map file that defines the geographic information for the map visualization.
The basic steps for creating a simple map are the following:
- Select the fields of interest on the Basic tab. For information about the type and number of fields required for different map visualizations, see Available Built-in Visualization Types .
- Select a map template.
- Click the Detailed tab.
- Check that the Data Key and other required dropdown lists are set to the correct fields.
- In the Map Files group, click Select a Map File.
- Use the Select Maps dialog box to choose the map file and map key. The map key's values must match the values for of the field specified by Data Key. You can use the Compare button to compare these values. If you select an overlay map template, you will also need to choose a reference map. The reference map is not keyed to the data. It is used as the background for the main map. For more information about the Select Maps dialog box, see Selecting map files for map visualizations .
- Click OK to close the Select Maps dialog box.
- In the Graphboard Template Chooser, click OK to create the map visualization.