Split File splits the data file into separate groups for analysis based on the values of one or more grouping variables. If you select multiple grouping variables, cases are grouped by each variable within categories of the preceding variable on the Groups Based On list. For example, if you select gender as the first grouping variable and minority as the second grouping variable, cases will be grouped by minority classification within each gender category.
- You can specify up to eight grouping variables.
- Each eight bytes of a long string variable (string variables longer than eight bytes) counts as a variable toward the limit of eight grouping variables.
- Cases should be sorted by values of the grouping variables and in the same order that variables are listed in the Groups Based On list. If the data file isn't already sorted, select Sort the file by grouping variables.
Compare groups. Split-file groups are presented together for comparison purposes. For pivot tables, a single pivot table is created and each split-file variable can be moved between table dimensions. For charts, a separate chart is created for each split-file group and the charts are displayed together in the Viewer.
Organize output by groups. All results from each procedure are displayed separately for each split-file group.
To Split a Data File for Analysis
- From the menus choose:
- Select Compare groups or Organize output by groups.
- Select one or more grouping variables.
If the data file isn't already sorted by values of the grouping variables, select Sort the file by grouping variables.