In Data View, you can enter data directly in the Data Editor. You can enter data in any order. You can enter data by case or by variable, for selected areas or for individual cells.
- The active cell is highlighted.
- The variable name and row number of the active cell are displayed in the top left corner of the Data Editor.
- When you select a cell and enter a data value, the value is displayed in the cell editor at the top of the Data Editor.
- Data values are not recorded until you press Enter or select another cell.
- To enter anything other than simple numeric data, you must define the variable type first.
If you enter a value in an empty column, the Data Editor automatically creates a new variable and assigns a variable name.