Swapping Rows and Columns
What do you do if you spend a lot of time setting up a complex table and then decide it's absolutely perfect--except that you want to switch the orientation, putting all of the row variables in the columns and vice versa? For example, you've created a nested crosstabulation with Age category and Gender nested in the rows, but now you want these two demographic variables nested in the columns instead.
- Open the table builder (Analyze menu, Tables, Custom Tables).
- Right-click anywhere on the canvas pane and select Swap
Row and Column Variables from the pop-up menu.
The row and column variables have now been switched.
Before creating the table, let's make a few modifications to make the display less cluttered.
- Select Hide to suppress the display of the summary statistics column label.
- Right-click Gender on the canvas pane and deselect Show Variable Label.
- Now click OK to create the table.