Meta-Analysis Continuous: Trim-and-Fill
The Trim-and-Fill dialog provides settings for implementing the trim-and-fill analysis of publication bias for meta-analysis with continuous outcomes on raw data that are provided in the active dataset for the estimation of the effect size.
- Estimate number of missing studies
- Controls the trim-and-fill analysis of publication bias. Selecting this setting enables the other dialog settings.
- Side to Impute Studies
- Provides options for specifying the side of the funnel plot on which the
missing studies are imputed.
- Determined by the slopes of Egger's test
- The default setting determines the side based on the estimated slope of the Egger’s test.
- Imputes the left side of the funnel plot.
- Imputes the right side of the funnel plot.
- Specifies the method to estimate the number of missing studies.
- The default setting calculates the linear estimator.
- Calculates the run estimator.
- Calculates the quadratic estimator.
- Iteration process
- Provides settings for specifying the iteration estimator and standard error
- Fixed-effects model
- When selected, a fixed-effects model is employed and the iteration estimation and standard error adjustment options are not available.
- Random-effects model
- When selected, a random effects model is employed and the following settings
- Provides settings for specifying the iteration estimator
- Restricted maximum likelihood (REML)
- The default setting applies the iterative method and calculates the restricted maximum likelihood estimator.
- Maximum likelihood (ML)
- Applies the iterative method and calculates the maximum likelihood estimator.
- Empirical Bayes
- Applies the iterative method and calculates the empirical Bayes estimator.
- Applies the non-iterative method and calculate the Hedges estimator.
- Applies the non-iterative method and calculates the Hunter-Schmidt estimator.
- Applies the non-iterative method and calculates the DerSimonian-Laird estimator.
- Applies the non-iterative method and calculates the Sidik-Jonkman estimator.
- Standard Error Adjustment
- Provides settings for controlling whether to apply the Knapp-Hartung
standard-error adjustment to the iterations of the trim-and-fill algorithm.
- No adjustment
- The default setting does not apply the adjustment.
- Apply the Knapp-Hartung adjustment
- Applies the Knapp-Hartung adjustment method.
- Apply the truncated Knapp-Hartung adjustment
- Applies the Knapp-Hartung adjustment method and truncates the value if less than 1 when estimating the variance-covariance matrix.
Defining Meta-Analysis Continuous trim-and-fill settings
- From the menus choose:
- In the Meta-Analysis Continuous dialog, click Trim-and-Fill.
- Select and define the appropriate trim-and-fill settings.
- Click Continue.