Adding value labels
Value labels provide a method for mapping your variable values to a string label. In this example, there are two acceptable values for the marital variable. A value of 0 means that the subject is single, and a value of 1 means that the subject is married.
- In the Variables tab click the marital variable's Value labels cell value.
- Click Add value label to create a new variable label.
The Value is the actual numeric value; the Label is the string label that is applied to the specified numeric value.
- Type 0 in the Value field and Single in the Label field.
- Click Add value label to create another variable label.
- Type 1 in the Value field and Married in the Label field.
- Click Apply to save your changes.
The created labels display in a list when you enter values in the Data tab. This setup has the benefit of suggesting a valid response and providing a more descriptive answer.