IBM Spectrum Protect Plus updates
Learn about new features and updates in IBM Spectrum Protect Plus Version 10.1.7.
New features and updates
- Protect container clusters on Red Hat OpenShift Container Platform
- With added support for OpenShift Container Platform by using OpenShift API Data Protection (OADP) technology, you can use the Container Backup Support component of IBM Spectrum Protect Plus to protect your OpenShift clusters in your environment.
- For installation instructions, see Installing Container Backup Support.
- For instructions on protecting OpenShift clusters, see Backing up and restoring OpenShift clusters.
- Protect Red Hat OpenShift cluster-scoped and namespace-scoped resources
- Use the protection capabilities of IBM Spectrum Protect Plus for cluster-scoped and namespace-scoped resources with the integration of Velero technology. IBM Spectrum Protect Plus can protect these resources by namespace, resource type, or label. This ability offers you more flexibility when you select which container data to back up and restore.
- For instructions, see Backing up namespace-scoped resources.
- Protect Kubernetes cluster-scoped and namespace-scoped resources
- You can use IBM Spectrum Protect Plus to protect cluster-scoped and namespace-scoped resources with the integration of Velero technology. IBM Spectrum Protect Plus can protect these resources by namespace, resource type, or label. This capability offers you more flexibility when you select which container data to back up and restore.
- For instructions, see Backing up namespace-scoped resources.
- Deploy IBM Spectrum Protect Plus as a container
- Take advantages of the agility, speed, security, efficiency, and ease of management of containers by installing IBM Spectrum Protect Plus on Red Hat OpenShift Container Platform. Deploy IBM Spectrum Protect Plus in the same environment as the data that is being protected to give you the freedom from provisioning a separate virtual or physical environment. By running IBM Spectrum Protect Plus in a container environment, you can protect container and other workloads from within the same product deployment environment.
- For instructions, see Installing IBM Spectrum Protect Plus in a container environment.
- Integrate IBM Spectrum Protect Plus with IBM Cloud Pak® for Multicloud Management
- IBM Spectrum Protect Plus integrates with IBM Cloud Pak for Multicloud Management Version 2.2 to protect data in virtual machine, container, and database applications in an IBM Cloud Pak for Multicloud Management environment.
- For more information, see Integration with IBM Cloud Pak for Multicloud Management.
- Restore container data to alternative namespaces and clusters
- You can use Container Backup Support to restore cluster-scoped and namespace-scoped resources in addition to PVCs. If necessary you can choose to restore data to an alternative namespace or cluster, or a combination of both.
- For instructions, see Restoring Kubernetes container data.
For instructions for Red Hat OpenShift, see Restoring OpenShift container data.
- Support for IBM® block storage CSI driver 1.2.0 for Container Backup Support1
- You can now preview the protection capability of IBM Spectrum Protect Plus for volume data that was allocated by a storage plug-in that supports IBM block storage CSI driver 1.2.0 in the IBM Spectrum Virtualize environment.
- For setup and configuration instructions, see IBM block storage CSI driver documentation.
- Install Container Backup Support by using Helm 3
- Installation of the Container Backup Support component of IBM Spectrum Protect Plus now supports Helm 3.
- For instructions, see Installing Container Backup Support.
- VMware enhancements
- Restore your VM data with a production restore, which introduces the ability to overwrite a VM disk with a VM disk from a previous backup operation. This capability preserves the configuration of the new VM while overwriting the disk with the disk from a previous backup.
- Limit the scope of your VM backup jobs by excluding certain VMs from backup jobs by using their associated VM tags. This improves the time that it takes to complete VMware backup jobs.
- Microsoft 365 enhancements
- In addition, the IBM Spectrum Protect Plus inventory process is enhanced to match the Microsoft 365 Apps view of tenants and accounts, which makes it easier for you to find the item you are looking for whether it is a OneDrive or an Outlook item. With this enhancement, for example you can set up different SLA policies for all Outlook or all OneDrive accounts more easily. For more information, see Backing up Microsoft 365 data.
- Microsoft 365 reports are added so that you can run reports for a full tenant, or specify OneDrive or Outlook. These reports show you information about the protected and unprotected accounts, backup compliance, and backup performance. For more information about reports, see Protection reports.
- Microsoft Office 365 is renamed to Microsoft 365 in the documentation and on the IBM Spectrum Protect Plus user interface.
- Windows file systems enhancements
- You can retrieve the files and directories you are looking for more easily by using the search
capability on the File-level Restore interface. When you are setting up a
restore job, you can search for a file or string to help you to locate a particular file. You can
also use the search function to locate a specific directory. For more information about the search
function, see Restoring file system data.
When you are restoring your file system data, you now can select to overwrite the existing copy. This option saves the space that is used during the restore operation, and also saves you manual steps for removing older copies. For more information about the overwrite option, see Restoring file system data.
When you are excluding specific data from file system backup jobs, you can specify directories or files with global variables. This option makes it easier to exclude resources regardless of their location for a registered user. For more information about the exclude rules, see Exclude rules syntax.
- Deprecation of the internal vSnap and VADP proxy
- The internal vSnap and VADP are removed in IBM Spectrum Protect Plus V10.1.7. When you upgrade from a previous version, IBM Spectrum Protect Plus is upgraded but the internal vSnap is not upgraded and remains at the previous version level. If the internal vSnap was used, a warning is displayed on the Disks screen and it requires that the data is migrated to a stand-alone vSnap server. For more information, see Migrating data to a stand-alone vSnap server.
- Ports 111, 2049, 3260, and 20048 on IBM Spectrum Protect Plus are no longer used due to the removal of the internal vSnap and VADP and are closed.
- Take advantage of administrative capabilities in the IBM Spectrum Protect Plus user interface
- The following administrative tasks are moved from the administrative console to the user menu IBM Spectrum Protect Plus user interface:
- For container installations, the task to update IBM Spectrum Protect Plus is also completed from the user menu. For virtual application installations, this task is completed from the administrative console.
- For instructions, see Updating IBM Spectrum Protect Plus components.
- Manage the password for the superuser account
- You can change the password for superuser account at any time. The superuser is the user who is assigned the SUPERUSER role. To change the password, see Changing the superuser password.
- Remove Oracle backup logs sooner
For Oracle backup jobs, new job definitions options have been added to provide greater flexibility for log truncation. In addition to the being able to remove source logs older than a specific number of days, you are now able to remove source logs that are older than a specific number of hours or immediately after backup.
For instructions, see Backing up Oracle data.
- Disable log backup for ad hoc backup jobs
In application workloads that allow for log backups to be enabled, you are now able to disable log backup as part of ad hoc backup jobs. You can select specific databases and modify the Enable Log Back up option prior to running an ad hoc backup job.
For instructions, see Running an ad hoc backup job.
- IBM Spectrum Protect Plus is available on the Microsoft Azure cloud platform
- Deploy IBM Spectrum Protect Plus to Microsoft Azure to protect data on the Azure cloud. You can deploy IBM Spectrum Protect Plus as an all-on-cloud or hybrid configuration.
- Follow the instructions in the IBM Spectrum Protect Plus on Microsoft Azure Deployment Guide to deploy IBM Spectrum Protect Plus on Azure.
- Support is added
- Support for the following releases is added:
Table 1. IBM Spectrum Protect Plus software supported IBM Spectrum Protect Plus for Oracle support for AIX® 7.2. IBM Spectrum Protect Plus for MongoDB support for SLES 15 and RHEL/CentOS 8 on Linux® x86_64 and RHEL/CentOS 8 on Linux Power® IBM Spectrum Protect Plus for Microsoft 365 CentOS 8 vSnap server physical installation on RHEL 7.8
1You can use IBM Spectrum Virtualize with the IBM Block CSI Driver snapshot functionality only for non-production, internal development and test environments, and for other internal, non-production activities. At the time of publication, the CSI snapshot functionality was in beta testing. For more information, see Kubernetes Feature Gates. IBM Spectrum Virtualize includes IBM FlashSystem® family members that are built with IBM Spectrum Virtualize.