Updating the IBM Spectrum Protect Plus virtual appliance
Use the IBM Spectrum® Protect Plus administrative console to update the virtual appliance. Updating IBM Spectrum Protect Plus can be run offline or online if you have external internet access.
Before you begin
You can update IBM Spectrum Protect Plus directly from two previous versions (n-2) to the current version (n). If you are using an older version, you must update at least to (n-2) version and then update to the current version.
- Ensure that your IBM Spectrum Protect Plus environment is backed up before you run updates. For more information about backing up your environment, see Backing up the IBM Spectrum Protect Plus application.
- For offline updates, download the prerequisite IBM Spectrum Protect Plus update named <part_number>.iso to a directory on the computer that is running the browser for the administrative console. The update file is installed first.
- Ensure that no jobs are running during the update procedure. Pause the schedule for any jobs that have a status of IDLE or COMPLETED.
For a list of download images, including the required operating system update for the virtual appliance, see technote 5693313.
About this task
To update the IBM Spectrum Protect Plus virtual appliance, complete the following steps:
From a supported web browser, access the administrative console by entering the following
where hostname is the IP address of the virtual machine where the application is deployed.
In the login window, select one of the following authentication types in the
Authentication Type list:
Authentication Type Login information IBM Spectrum Protect Plus To log in as an IBM Spectrum Protect Plus user with SUPERUSER privileges, enter your administrator user name and password. If you log in by using the
adminuser account, you are prompted to reset the user name and password. You cannot reset the user name to
System (recommended) To log on as a system user, enter the serveradmin password. The default password is sppDP758-SysXyz. You are prompted to change this password during the first logon.
Click Updates and Hotfix Management to open the updates management
If you have access to the FTP site, public.dhe.ibm.com, the administrator console checks for available updates automatically and lists them.
- Click Run Update to install the available updates.
Note: If you want to run online updates but can see only the offline mode, check your internet connectivity and reattempt to access the FTP site, public.dhe.ibm.com.
- When the updates are installed successfully, go to Step 6.
- If you are planning to install an update from an ISO file, click Click Here to run the offline updates. Go to Step 5.
Choose the update that you want to run, as follows:
When the update completes, the virtual machine where the application is deployed automatically restarts.Important: After the IBM Spectrum Protect Plus update completes, you must update any external vSnap and VADP proxy servers in your environment.
- Online mode: Updates are listed automatically in the repository when they are made available. Click Run Update.
- Offline mode: Click Choose file to browse for the
downloaded file. The file has an
rpmextension like this example, <filename>.iso. Click Upload Update Image (or) Hotfix. You can select only one update file at a time.Important: There must be at least 4.2 GB of disk space available in the /tmp directory of the IBM Spectrum Protect Plus server.
Clear the browser cache.
HTML content from previous versions of IBM Spectrum Protect Plus might be stored in the cache.
- Start the updated version of IBM Spectrum Protect Plus.
In the navigation pane, click Jobs and Operations, and then click the
Find the jobs that you paused.
- From the Actions menu for the paused jobs, select Release Schedule.