Defining a replication storage rule
You can define a storage rule to implement replication, which copies data from a source replication server to a target replication server. When the storage rule is active, eligible data is replicated daily. By using a replication storage rule, you help to support disaster recovery and data availability if the source replication server becomes unavailable.
Before you begin
- Review the following restrictions:
- You can configure a single target replication server with a source replication server by using a replication storage rule. To configure multiple target replication servers, you must define multiple replication storage rules.
- You cannot define more than three unique target replication servers across all active and inactive replication storage rules.
- You cannot define more than two unique target replication servers across all active replication storage rules.
- Ensure that the source and target replication servers have the same version of IBM Spectrum® Protect software installed. The minimum version is 8.1.13.
- The TRANSFERMETHOD=FASP parameter value is allowed only on Linux®® x86_64 operating systems.
- Ensure that server-to-server communication is defined for the target replication server by using the DEFINE SERVER command. For more information, see DEFINE SERVER (Define a server for server-to-server communications).
- Ensure that replication is enabled for the client node whose data you want to replicate. To enable replication for a node, use the UPDATE NODE command and set the REPLSTATE=ENABLED parameter value. For more information, see UPDATE NODE (Update node attributes).
To define a replication storage rule, complete the following steps:
- On the Operations Center menu bar, click .
- On the Storage Rules page, click +Create Rule.
- From the Rule type list on the Create Rule page, select Replication.
- On the Create Rule page, complete the remaining fields.
- Click Create. Tip: Alternatively, you can define a replication storage rule by using the DEFINE STGRULE command and specifying the ACTIONTYPE=REPLICATE parameter value. For more information, see DEFINE STGRULE (Define a storage rule for replicating data).
What to do next
- To specify exceptions to the replication storage rule, define one or more subrules. Follow the instructions in Defining a replication subrule.
- When you are ready to activate the replication storage rule, in the Operations Center, click
Tip: Alternatively, activate the storage rule by issuing the UPDATE STGRULE command and specifying the ACTIVE=YES parameter value.
Double-click the rule. On the Properties tab, click
- To modify the replication storage rule, use the UPDATE STGRULE command.
- To query the replication storage rule, use the QUERY STGRULE command.
- To query jobs that are related to storage rules, use the QUERY JOB command.
- To delete the replication storage rule, use the DELETE STGRULE command.