Connecting to a Guardium asset data source
The Guardium Connected Assets and Risk connector can be run in the platform cluster. The connector incrementally synchronizes the contents of the IBM Security Guardium Data Protection asset databases with the data that is managed by the Connected Assets and Risk service.
Before you begin
Collaborate with an IBM Security Guardium administrator who can configure Guardium and obtain the required information.
The following prerequisites must be in place.
- IBM Security Guardium Data Protection 11.3 environment.
- Set up Compliance Monitoring to tag data sources that containing the following data.
- General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), Payment Card Industry (PCI), or California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) data
- Sensitive data
- Select Sensitive data found by Classification-Distributed.
- Distributed report must be configured and scheduled.
- The option to Gather Data From must be set to the Guardium Managed Units where the Classification is run.
- The Classification rule Category must be set to Sensitive.
- To obtain vulnerability data, set up and schedule Vulnerability Assessment and enable Quick Search.
- To obtain data on users who pose a security risk, Risky Users, enable Active Risk Spotter.
Obtain the following information:
- Security credentials (client ID and secret, username, and password). The client secret is
obtained by using the following Guardium
cli>grdapi register_oauth_internal_client getEncrypted=false grant_types=password module=UDI
- Central Manager IP address and port, and the Server Name Indicator (SNI).
- Go to .
- On the Assets tab, click Connect an asset.
- Click Guardium, then click Next.
- Configure the connection to the data source.
- In the Connector name field, assign a name
to uniquely identify the data source connection. Tip: Only alphanumeric characters and the following special characters are allowed: - . _
- In the Connector description field, write a
description to indicate the purpose of the data source connection. Tip: Only alphanumeric characters and the following special characters are allowed: - . _
- In the Edge gateway (optional) field, specify
which IBM Security Edge Gateway to use.
Select an Edge Gateway to host the connector. The Edge Gateway must be version 1.6 or later. It can take up to 5 minutes to establish the connection to the Edge Gateway.Important: If you have a firewall between your platform cluster and the data source target, use the Edge Gateway to host the containers.
For more information, see Setting up Edge Gateway.
- In the Frequency field, set how often the
connector imports data from the data source, in minutes. The value must be an integer.For example, a value of 5 causes the connector to run every 5 minutes.If the data source doesn't have many assets, or you don't want to import data often, reduce the frequency.
- In the Connector name field, assign a name to uniquely identify the data source connection.
- In the Configurations section, click Add a Configuration.
- Configure identity and access.
- Click Edit access and choose which users can connect to the data source and the type of access.
- In the Configuration name field, enter a unique name to describe the access configuration and distinguish it from the other access configurations for this data source connection that you might set up. Only alphanumeric characters and the following special characters are allowed: - . _
- In the Configuration description field, enter a unique description to describe the access configuration and distinguish it from the other access configurations for this data source connection that you might set up. Only alphanumeric characters and the following special characters are allowed: - . _
- In the Server field, enter your IBM Security Guardium Central Manager server URL. The format of
the URL must be as
- In the Username field, enter your IBM Security Guardium Central Manager server username.
- In the Password field, enter your IBM Security Guardium Central Manager server password.
- In the Api Key field, enter your IBM Security Guardium API key.
- Click Add.
- To save your configuration and establish the connection, click Done.
- To edit your configurations, complete the following steps:
- On the Assets tab, select the data source connection that you want to edit.
- In the Configurations section, click Edit Configuration ().
- Edit the identity and access parameters and click Save.
The connector imports data from the data source. The connector imports data source again at the interval that you set in the Frequency field.
You can see the data source connection configuration that you added under Connections on the Assets tab of the Data source settings page. A message on the card indicates connection with the data source.
You can add other connection configurations for this data source that have different users and different data access permissions.
What to do next
Test the connection by searching for an IP address in IBM Security Data Explorer that matches an asset data source. In Data Explorer, click an IP address to view its associated assets and risk.
To use Data Explorer, you must have data sources that are connected so that the application can run queries and retrieve results across a unified set of data sources. The search results vary depending on the data that is contained in your configured data sources. For more information about how to build a query in Data Explorer, see Build a query.