Creating a virtual data source
Create a virtual data source to tailor the way users view enterprise data. Virtual data sources introduce a database metadata layer that allows you to optionally hide the complexities of your underlying database structures.
About this task
Open the New Virtual Source wizard in one of the following ways:
The Create New Virtual Source wizard opens.
- Right-click the Virtual Data Sources node in the Repositories view. Select from the pop-up menu. The New Virtual Source wizard opens.
- Select New window opens. Expand the Repository folder. Select New Virtual Data Source. . The
On the page of availability type selection, select Personal or
Shared. Click Next.
Note: For more information about types of data source availability, see Data sources.
- Enter a name for the new virtual data source in the Data Source Name field.
- Specify the virtual data source parameters in the Parameters area:
- Select In-memory check box to create an inner in-memory database for the work of the virtual data source.
- If you want to save the inner database in to the file system, select Back up server on shutdown check box. Then when you shut down the application in normal mode the database will be saved to the file system and retrieved at the next launch of the application.
- Click Finish.
The new virtual data source is listed under the Virtual Data Sources node.
You have added a new virtual data source.
The new virtual data source is displayed under the Virtual Data Sources node.
What to do next
You can now add tables to the virtual data source.