Installing QMF for Workstation
To install QMF for Workstation, run the setup executable on the target operating system and follow the installation prompts. Upon completion of the installation, it is recommended that you apply the latest available fix packs.
About this task
The QMF installation
package includes the
file. This .zip file contains the
setupwin64.exe file, readme files, and the
Notices and Information files.
This topic describes how to run the setup process to install QMF. It assumes you have downloaded the QMF setup executable file to your computer. It provides information about the properties and values you can set during the installation process.
While installing QMF, select which the feature set (Administrator, User or both) to install.
You can stop the installation at time by clicking Cancel.
- Go to the directory where you have downloaded setup executable file.
- Run the setup executable file to begin the installation. The installer program prepares the product for installation.
- Select the preferred language from the language selection drop-down.
- On the Introduction panel, read the recommendations and description of the installation process and click Next.
On the Choose Install Folder panel, select
Choose to specify the directory where QMF will be installed
or accept the default destination. Click Next.
- Select Typical if you want to install the
workstation application, all of its components and features and download the
QMF for WebSphere®
For a description of the applications, components, and features, see QMF applications, components, and features.
- If you want to install particular components, select Custom
and choose from the applications, components, and features
listed in the panel beneath the Install Set field.
If you selected specific applications and components to install and you then want to revert to the options of typical installation, select Typical from the Install Set drop-down list.
Table 1. QMF applications, components, and features Application Components and features Description QMF for Workstation
- QMF for Workstation User.
- QMF for Workstation Administrator
- Support for OLAP and XMLA data sources
Select this feature to download the files that will allow users to create and edit multidimensional queries.
- Support for Virtual Data Sources
Select this feature to download the files that will allow administrators to create and edit virtual data sources.
- Support for Data Source Environments
Select this feature to download the files that will allow administrators to create and edit Data Source Environments.
- Translated Help Systems
Select the help systems that you want to install in addition to the English help system
QMF for Workstation includes a User component and an Administrator component.Select the component that suits your role and the manner in which you will use the application. For example,
- Select the
QMF for Workstation User component if your intention is use the application on your own personal workstation.
- Select the
QMF for Workstation Administrator component if your intention is to create product configuration that will be made available to multiple users across the enterprise and to administer that configuration on behalf of the enterprise users. Administrators use this component to grant user access to repositories and define resource limits. It should be installed only for those users who will be allowed to perform these tasks.
- Select Typical if you want to install the workstation application, all of its components and features and download the QMF for WebSphere® application files.
- Select where to create product icons and click Next.
- On the Pre-Installation Summary panel,
review the summary information.
- If you want to make changes, click Previous until you reach the panel that contains values that you want to change.
- If you are satisfied with your selections, click Install and complete the installation.
You have successfully installed QMF
After completing the installation successfully, you are ready to configure the product for use.
What to do next
In QMF 188.8.131.52, the Jetty Server configurations used by Visual Dashboard have
been externalized to
jetty.xml. This file is present in Application data
> jettyXMLConf folder.
By default, Jetty uses port 8080 to display Dashboard. However, if port 8080 is already in use then you may notice error 404 when trying to run the Visual Dashboard. In this case, you must make port 8080 available for QMF by stopping the application that is consuming this port.
To resolve this port conflict, you can also change the port used by Jetty server within QMF Workstation from port 8080 to some other free port.
- In App Data directory locate the
- Open the file in text editor.
- Find element
<Property name="jetty.http.port" deprecated="jetty.port" default="8080" />
- Replace the element with an available port number.
Default : <Set name="port"> <Property name="jetty.http.port" deprecated="jetty.port" default="8080" /> </Set> Replaced : <Set name="port"> 8181 </Set>
- Optionally, you can remove the following element. In this case, QMF Workstation will use any
random port between 7501-8079.
<Set name="port"> <Property name="jetty.http.port" deprecated="jetty.port" default="8080" /> </Set>
- Restart QMF for Workstation. Dashboards should load without any error.