Inserting a bar or column chart
Bar charts and column charts display data as a series of bars on an x or y axis.
About this task
To insert a bar or column chart:
- Double-click the Bar Chart or Column
Chart object in the Layouts palette
of the Palette view. The Bar Chart Wizard or Column Chart Wizard opens.
- In the All Data Sources tree, navigate
to the table or query that will be run to obtain the layout object's
query result set and click Next.
The Select layout type page opens.
- Click Standard and click Next.
The Select the field(s) to be displayed as bars page opens.
- Select one or more columns in the Available
fields list box and click Move Right to
move them to the Fields to be displayed list
box. This field lists the names of the columns of data that are included in the selected query result set. The columns that you move to the Fields to be displayed list box will be displayed as the bars along a labeled axis in the column or bar chart.
- Click Next. The Set up labels and legend information for chart page opens.
- Select the Include a label check box to include a label that displays for each value bar in the chart.
- Specify a data column in the Label field drop-down
list that will be used to populate the labels for each value bar in
the chart. This field is only valid if you selected the Include a label check box.For example, if you select a column listing salaries in the Fields to be displayed list box, and a column listing the names of employees in the Label field drop-down list, the chart will display the name of each person next to value bars that show their individual salaries.
- Select the Display the value of each bar check box to display the data value at the end of each value bar.
- Select the Stack bars when there are multiple
series check box to stack value bars of different data
series on the same line. The value bars representing the first data column in the Fields to be displayed list box are drawn first, and subsequent value bars start where the ones before them end.For example, if bar 1 has a value of 50 and bar 2 has a value of 20, bar 1 is displayed from 0 to 50 and bar 2 is displayed from 50 to 70.
- Click Next. The Specify paging options page opens.
- Select the Enable paging check
box to enable paging. Paging allows you to display only a certain amount of rows at a time. For instance, if you only display ten rows at a time, only ten columns or bars will be displayed for each page.
- Select the amount of rows that you want to display at a time in the Rows per page list.
- Select the first row in the result set to display in the First displayed row list.
- Select the Add navigation bar check box to automatically create page forward and page backwards buttons that control paging actions.
- Click Finish. The wizard closes, and the bar or column chart is displayed in the editor window.