Specifying separator options for CSV and TXT files
You use the Select separator options page of the CSV File Import wizard to specify how QMF will convert the data of the CSV or TXT file into the columns of the result set.
The separator options of the CSV File Import wizard allows you to specify how QMF interprets the format of the CSV or TXT file to convert it into a new result set, and how the finished result set will look. To specify separator options for the CSV or TXT file:
About this task
- Open the Select separator options page of the CSV File Import wizard.
- Select the Skip rows starting with check box and specify a string in the text field to exclude certain rows from the result set.
- Select what symbol is used to display decimal points in the file in the Decimal separator drop-down list.
- Select the First row contains column names check box to specify that the first line of the file contains the names of columns to be created.
- To specify that the columns will be created based on a
fixed set of character lengths, click Fixed width and
then specify the specific widths of the columns by entering the character
lengths in the Specify columns width field.
When each character length is reached in the text, the characters after that point are placed in a separate column, regardless of the content of the text.
- To specify that the columns will be created automatically
by breaking at certain symbols, click Separated by and
then selecting the symbols check boxes below. When the result set is made, each time these symbols are encountered in the text, the characters after the symbol are placed in a separate column.
- Select the Merge separators check
box to consolidate columns that are created by multiple adjacent separators
into one column. For example, if Comma and Space are selected and the text includes the string
NAME, DEPT, three columns will be created. The first column contains
NAME, and was created when the comma was encountered. The second column is empty, and was created when the space was encountered. The third column contains
DEPT, and was created when the remaining text was encountered. By selecting the Merge separators check box, only one column is created when the comma and the space are encountered.
- Select whether a single or double quotation marks are used
to delineate text in the Text qualifier drop-down
list. Text that is contained in the specified quotes is always displayed
as is, whether it contains a separator symbol or not. Note: You can track how each selection changes the layout of the result set in the Preview table.