Creating network repository connections
You create a network repository connection to set up the information that will enable you to connect to a shared repository using direct network access.
About this task
Network connectivity permits users to access a shared repository without the need for direct database connectivity from the workstation. Connecting to repositories using a network connection allows for consolidation of data access at a central server and removes the need to distribute JDBC drivers across each desktop running QMF for Workstation.
To complete the creation of a network repository connection:
- Verify with the QMF administrator that the network repository service has been set up and started.
- Open the second page of the Create New Repository Connection wizard.
- Specify a name for the repository connection in the Connection name field. This name will be used to identify the connection as it appears in the Repository Connections view. You can enter any name but it is recommended that the name identifies the repository for which this connection information applies.
- Select the Connect immediately check box to connect to the repository immediately. If this check box is clear, the connection information will be created, saved and displayed in the Repository Connections view, but you will not be immediately connected to the repository.
- Specify the name or the IP address of the server (or workstation) that is running your network service in the Server host field.
- Specify the contact port for the network server in the Port field.
- Click Refresh.
The available repository connections for the specified network repository service are retrieved. Select the repository connection that you want to use from the list of available repository connections.
- Click Finish.
The repository connection that you have just created will appear in the Repository Connections view. If you have QMF Registry configured for your QMF client, select Local from the Server list in the Repository Connections view.
If you selected the Connect immediately check box, you are connected to this repository. This repository connection information is entered in the connections settings file.