Creating charts from a query results grid
You can create a ready-made chart by selecting the required columns from a query results grid. This allows you to review the returned data and decide what to display and how to display it.
You must run a visual query and have a query results grid open on the Results tab.
Before you begin
To create a chart from a query results grid:
About this task
- Select the columns that you want to include in the chart by holding the Ctrl key and clicking each column.
- Click the down arrow next to the Display Chart toolbar
button and select the type of chart that you want to display.
The Data series page of the New Chart wizard opens. The columns that you selected are displayed in the Series tree.Note: Columns are automatically organized into the Category Axis and Values nodes depending on their data types. Category columns are the columns that contain character data, and value columns are the columns that contain numerical data. For example, if you selected a column of department names and a column of yearly salary totals, the department name column would automatically be placed under Category Axis, and the salary column would automatically be placed under Values.
- Select each value column and select how it is aggregated from the Aggregation list.
- Click Next. The Format page opens.
- Specify the different formatting options of the chart and click Finish to close the New Chart wizard and display the created chart. The chart is displayed on the Results tab.