Linear procedures can contain comment lines, blank lines, substitution variables, any QMF command, and RUN commands that run other procedures or queries.
- Substitution variables
- QMF scans the entire procedure for substitution variables, and the values are resolved before the procedure is run.
- Global variables
- Access global variable values in linear procedures by using substitution
After the global variables are set, if you need to reset them you must code a RESET GLOBAL statement at the end of your procedure. Otherwise, the previous set of substitution values will continue to be used.
- Return codes and procedure termination
- Success or failure of a command is indicated by a return code. If a command is not successful, the procedure ends and the incorrect command is displayed at the top of the procedure area.
- Continuation lines
- Indicated by a plus sign (+) in column one of the continued line. Command keywords, substitution variables, and comments cannot span lines.
- Comments are prefaced by two dashes, as follows: