Installing and configuring cloud-init on Ubuntu
Before you capture a virtual machine, you need to install the cloud-init package. This topic provides you details about cloud-init installation procedure for Ubuntu.
What to do next
Install cloud-init on UbuntuPowerVC supports cloud-init-19.1 for Ubuntu. Follow these steps to install cloud-init on Ubuntu:
Before you install cloud-init, you must install the dependencies for cloud-init from the operating system base and supplemental media, by using apt-get, or any other package manager.
- For Ubuntu 18:
- Obtain the RPM from on the PowerVC management server and
install it on the virtual machine.
- Ubuntu 18:
Install cloud-init by running
apt-get install downloaded_path/cloud-init_19.1-5.ibm.ubuntu18.deb. Make sure you provide complete Debian package path during installation.
To uninstall any older versions, run apt-get remove cloud-init and then run apt-get purge cloud-init.Note: If the virtual machine already has a cloud-init Debian package installed, the existing Debian package must be uninstalled before installing the PowerVC version of the Debian package.
- Ubuntu 18:
apt-mark hold cloud-init. This ensures that the PowerVC cloud-init bundle is not overwritten by a different version when running
- Do the following:
- In /lib/udev/rules.d/73-special-net-names.rules, comment out the line
- Modify /etc/network/interfaces to change references to
eth0. Comment out
hwaddrif it is present.
- Enable and start the cloud-init related services by issuing the following
systemctl enable cloud-init-local.service systemctl enable cloud-init.service systemctl enable cloud-config.service systemctl enable cloud-final.service systemctl start cloud-init.service systemctl start cloud-init-local.service systemctl start cloud-config.service systemctl start cloud-final.service
- Run cloud-init status to check the cloud-init status. Make sure the status shows as Done.
- In /lib/udev/rules.d/73-special-net-names.rules, comment out the line containing
- Obtain the RPM from on the PowerVC management server and install it on the virtual machine.