By using this capability, you can change the current storage template of a volume to a target storage template. You can change the volume properties like QoS, provisioning, SLO/workload, etc. You can also choose to migrate the volume to another pool specified in the target template.
- Navigate to Boot volumes. (or)
- Select a volume and click Retype. PowerVC validates and lists the target templates where the volume can be retyped or migrated to.
- Select either Allow storage assisted migration or Allow
When you select Allow storage assisted migration option, the volume is migrated if the target storage template points to a different pool. For details, see considerations section.
In a case where backend storage provider cannot migrate the volume, select Allow generic migration option. A new volume is created with the selected target template. The original volume data is copied to the new volume by using the Fibre Channel connectivity on PowerVC. Make sure the Fibre channel connectivity exists between PowerVC and storage. There is no validation performed on PowerVC for this option. For details on connectivity setup, see
Requirementssection of Exporting and importing images topic.
- Retype is only supported for SVC, Hitachi, and PowerMax storage types. PowerMax SRDF is currently not supported.
- For available volumes, retype can be performed using the Storage Assisted Migration.
- For Hitachi, Storwize®, and PowerMax, a volume can be migrated without selecting any migration options.
- Retype is allowed for either
in-usevolumes. Some storage types might have restriction for
- You cannot retype a volume that is part of a group.
- You cannot retype a volume that is
- Generic migration for
in-usevolumes is not supported.
- Retype is not supported for base template enabled with pool mirroring.
- Retype is supported from base template to replication enabled template and vice versa on Storwize for Global Mirror and Global Mirror Change Volume.
- When performing retype from base template to replication enabled template of Storwize, you can choose to retain the auxiliary volume by running powervc-config storage svc-retain-aux-vol --enable --restart command. Check the command help for details.
- Retype of a volume on Storwize having mirror pool to non-mirror pool or vice versa is not allowed if pool change is required. For such a scenario only volume copy operation is allowed.
- If volume does not have a storage template assigned, a warning message appears to set the
template ID. You can set the template by running
powervc-config storage set-templatecommand or to use Set storage template option on the user interface.
- Retype or migration is not allowed for volumes that have snapshots.
- PowerVC might prompt an error message if retype or migration is not supported by the storage backend.
- Retype for in-use volumes are not supported in Pure Storage.
- Retype support matrix for available volumes in Pure Storage.
Table 1. Retype support matrix for available volumes in Pure Storage Source replication Target migration_policy Supported/Not supported async base pure driver retype flow sync base generic migration flow Not supported trisync base generic migration flow Not supported base async pure driver retype flow base sync generic migration flow base trisync generic migration flow async sync generic migration flow Not supported async trisync generic migration flow Not supported sync async generic flow Not supported sync trisync pure driver retype flow trisync async generic flow Not supported trisync sync pure driver retype flow