Setting project policies
Administrators and project managers can set several project-specific policies. These policies only apply to users with self_service authority. They let you set properties such as whether users require approval to perform certain tasks.
You can set the following policies:
- Deploys before approval is required
- The number of virtual machines each self service user can own without requiring
approval for deploys. For example, if this number is 15, each self service user can deploy up to 15
virtual machines without requiring approval. If a user tried to deploy an additional virtual
machine, that deploy would require approval.
If this policy is disabled, virtual machine deploys always require approval. When editing this policy, you can specify the number of deploys or deselect Specify value if approvals are never required.
- Days before virtual machine expiration
- The number of days before virtual machines created by self service users in the
project expire. When a virtual machine is deployed in this project, this value is used to set its
expiration date. The default is 30 days.
A self service user can request an extension to the expiration date after deploy. When requesting an extension, users cannot select a date further out than the value set in this policy. For example, if this value is set to 90, users cannot select a date more than 90 days away from the current expiration date.
This policy cannot be disabled.
- Days before expired virtual machine deletion
- Specifies the number of days before an expired virtual machine is automatically
deleted. This value applies to all virtual machines created by self service users in this project.
If this policy is disabled, expired virtual machines are never deleted.
- Expiration extensions before approval is required
- The combined number of virtual machine expiration date extensions that are
automatically approved. After this limit is reached, further expiration date extension requests
If this policy is disabled, virtual machine expiration extension requests always require approval.
- Days before automatic approval of pending expiration extension requests
- The number of days that virtual machine expiration extension requests can be in
pending state. If the request is not approved after the specified number of days, it is
If this policy is disabled, expiration extension requests are never automatically approved.
- Clone virtual machine approval limit
- This policy controls processing of clone virtual machine requests by a self service user. If
this policy is disabled, virtual machine clones require approval. When editing this policy, the only
possible value is
Approval not requiredwhich is auto-selected. By default, clone virtual machines requests need approval.
- Virtual machine snapshots approval limit
- This policy controls processing of virtual machine snapshot requests by a self service user. If
this policy is disabled, virtual machine snapshots require approval. When editing this policy, the
only possible value is
Approval not requiredwhich is auto-selected.