Planning SR-IOV networks
Review this information to learn about SR-IOV requirements and restrictions before managing a virtual machine that uses SR-IOV technology.
- POWER8® or later system
- The adapter must be in SR-IOV mode.
- On NovaLink hosts, use pvmctl sriov to view and update the adapter mode.
- On HMC hosts, in the HMC user interface, modify the SR-IOV adapter, then choose Shared mode.
See vNIC FAQ for a list of vNIC supported adapters that are SR-IOV capable.
- The operating system on the virtual machine must be supported. See vNIC FAQ for the supported operating systems.
- You cannot directly connect the SR-IOV adapter or physical ports to a virtual machine.
- Deploy templates do not support SR-IOV networks.
- Activation engine is not supported.