Replacing an adapter in the 9009-41A, 9009-41G, 9009-42A, 9009-42G, 9223-42H, or 9223-42S system
To replace an adapter in the system, complete the steps in this procedure.
- Ensure that you have the electrostatic discharge (ESD) wrist strap on and that the ESD clip is plugged into a ground jack or connected to an unpainted metal surface. If not, do so now.
- Ensure that the target slot is empty.
If necessary, remove the adapter from the antistatic package.
Attention: Avoid touching the components and gold connectors on the adapter.
Place the adapter, component-side up, on a flat, antistatic
Attention: A pin on the tailstock of the adapter resembles a removable screw. Do not remove this pin. It is required for correct alignment and seating.
Choose from the followings options:
- If the system power is turned off, continue with step 11.
- If the system power is turned on and you are using the IBM® i operating system, continue with step 11.
- If you are using the AIX® or Linux® operation system, read the following note:Important: You need to work with the system administrator to prepare the adapter slot to receive the adapter. If this process exceeds the 10-minute service limitation with the system access cover removed, place the service access cover back on the system before working with the system administrator to maintain proper system cooling.
If you are using the AIX operating system, use the diag command on
the console to prepare the slot to accept an adapter.
- Select Add a PCI Hot Plug adapter from the Hot Plug Manager menu.
- Select the slot from where you removed the adapter.
Press Enter again to put the slot into the action state.
A fast-flashing amber LED at the rear of the system near the adapter indicates that the slot is identified and is ready to receive the adapter.
- Continue with step 9.
If you are using the Linux operating system, use the drmgr
command on the console to prepare the slot to accept an adapter.
For example, to install the adapter in slot U7879.001.DQD014E-P1-C3, type:
drmgr -c pci -r -s locationcode
In this example, you would replace locationcode with U7879.001.DQD014E-P1-C3.
Follow the instructions on the display to complete the task.
- Ensure that you have on the ESD strap.
- If necessary, remove the service access cover.
- To replace an adapter, complete the following steps:
- If the adapter latch
(B) at the target slot on the system is not already in the open position,
pull the latch into the open position by rotating the latch outwards from its clip on the back of
the system. (L007)CAUTION:A hot surface nearby. (L007)Attention: The system supports full-height tailstock brackets only. If your adapter shipped with a low-profile tailstock, you might need to change it.
- Press the adapter firmly into its connector ensuring that it is seated.
- To lock the adapter in its
slot, rotate the adapter latch (B) in the direction that is shown.
- If the adapter latch (B) at the target slot on the system is not already in the open position, pull the latch into the open position by rotating the latch outwards from its clip on the back of the system.