PCIe3 2-port 100 GbE NIC & RoCE QSFP28 Adapter (FC EC3L and EC3M; CCIN 2CEC)
Learn about the specifications and operating system requirements for the feature code (FC) EC3L and EC3M adapter.
FC EC3L and EC3M are both the same adapter with different tail stock brackets. FC EC3L is a low-profile adapter and FC EC3M is a full-height adapter.
- Adapter FRU number
- I/O bus architecture
- PCIe3 x16
- Slot requirement
- For details about slot priorities, maximums, and placement rules, see PCIe adapter placement rules and slot priorities and select the system you are working on.
- 3.3 V
- Form factor
- Short, low-profile (FC EC3L)
- Short, with full-height tailstock (FC EC3M)
For 100G, IBM® offers either Direct Attach Copper (DAC) cables up to 2 M or Active Optical Cables (AOC) up to 100 M. QSFP28 based transceivers are included on each end of these cables. For more information about adapter cabling, see the Cable and Transceiver Matrix.Note: For 40G, IBM® offers DAC cables up to 5 M. QSFP+ base transceivers are included on each end of these cables. See FC EB2B, EB2H, and ECBN for a 1 M, 3 M, and 5 M copper cables.
- IBM qualifies and supports QSFP28 optical transceiver (FC EB59) to install into the adapter. Customers can also use their own optical cabling and QSP28 optical transceiver for the other end. This is a 100GBASE-SR4 based active optical transceiver capable up to 100 M through the OM4 cable or 70 M through OM3 cable. Either one or both of the adapter's two QSP28 ports can be populated. When two ports are filled, both can have copper cables or optical cables. Additionally, one of the cables can be copper and the other can be optical. IBM® also offers QSFP+ optical transceiver (FC EB27) to install into the adapter and allowing the customer to use their own optical cabling and QSP28 optical transceiver for the other end.
- Cable and Transceiver Matrix
Feature code Description EB59 100GBASE-SR4 Optical Transceiver MTP/MPO cable (purchased separately)
- FC EB2J - 10 M
- FC EB2K - 30 M
EB5J QSFP28 Passive Copper 100 Gb Ethernet Cable - .5 M EB5K QSFP28 Passive Copper 100 Gb Ethernet Cable - 1 M EB5L QSFP28 Passive Copper 100 Gb Ethernet Cable - 1.5 M EB5M QSFP28 Passive Copper 100 Gb Ethernet Cable - 2 M EB5R QSFP28 AOC 100 Gb Ethernet Cable - 3 M EB5S QSFP28 AOC 100 Gb Ethernet Cable - 5 M EB5T QSFP28 AOC 100 Gb Ethernet Cable - 10 M EB5U QSFP28 AOC 100 Gb Ethernet Cable - 15 M EB5V QSFP28 AOC 100 Gb Ethernet Cable - 20 M EB5W QSFP28 AOC 100 Gb Ethernet Cable - 30 M EB5X QSFP28 AOC 100 Gb Ethernet Cable - 50 M EB5Y QSFP28 AOC 100 Gb Ethernet Cable - 100 M EB2B 1 M Passive QSFP+ to QSFP+ EB2H 3 M Passive QSFP+ to QSFP+ ECBN 5 M Passive QSFP+ to QSFP+ EB27 QSFP+ 40G BASE-SR transceiver
- Attributes provided
- The adapter is based on the Mellanox ConnectX-4 adapter, which uses the ConnectX-4 EN Network Controller
- Ethernet only supported in Ethernet or RoCE mode
- PCIe3 compliant (1.1 and 2.0 compatible)
- RDMA over Converged Ethernet (RoCE)
- NIC and RoCE are concurrently supported
- RoCE supported on Linux and AIX (7.2, and later)
- NIC supported on all operati
- TCP/UDP/IP stateless offload
- LSO, LRO, and checksum offload
- NIM boot support
- Backward compatible with 40 Gb Ethernet when using compatible cables and transceivers
- Improves performance and scalability by offloading the CPU from I/O networking tasks
- Minimizes CPU overhead by more efficiently using memory access
- PowerVM SR-IOV support. For more information see, PowerVM® SR-IOV FAQs.
Operating system or partition requirements
- The latest version of enabling libraries and utilities can be downloaded from the Fix Central website.
- Power Systems Prerequisites website.
- IBM System Storage Interoperation Center (SSIC) website.
- The latest version of the device driver or IBM® Power® RAID adapter utilities (iprutils) can be downloaded from the IBM Service and Productivity Tools website.
- For information about important notices for Linux on IBM Power Systems, see the Linux® on IBM website.