Cabling the rack-mounted 7063-CR2 HMC
Learn how to physically install your rack-mounted Hardware Management Console (HMC).
- Ensure that the HMC is installed into a rack and the power cords are plugged into the power supplies. For more information, see Installing the system into the rack and connecting and routing power cables. After you install the HMC into a rack, continue with the next step.
Connect the keyboard, monitor, and mouse.
Table 1. Input and output ports Identifier Description 1 USB 2.0 used for keyboard and mouse 2 Ethernet Intelligent Platform Management Interface (IPMI) 3 Video Graphics Array (VGA) that is used for the monitor. Only the 1024 x 768 at 60 Hz VGA setting is supported. Only up to a 3-meter cable is supported.Note: The system has two front USB ports that you can use.
Connect the Ethernet Intelligent Platform Management Interface (IPMI) port to a network.
Table 2. Ethernet ports Identifier Description 0 Shared Ethernet Intelligent Platform Management Interface (IPMI) and HMC Network Connection 1, 2, and 3 HMC network connectionNotes:
Warning: This product may not be certified in your country for connection by any means whatsoever to interfaces of public telecommunications networks. Further certification may be required by law prior to making any such connection. Please contact IBM® for more information.
- When the HMC is equipped with an optional 10 Gb PCI Express (PCIe) adapter, two additional ethernet ports are available.
- This connection is required to access the baseboard management controller (BMC) on the HMC. Access to the BMC is required for service tasks and to maintain the HMC firmware. For more information, see Types of HMC network connections.
Connect the Ethernet cable that is intended for the connection to the managed system or
- If you are using a shared connection for IPMI and HMC, a single cable to port 0 in Figure 2 can satisfy both requirements for IPMI and HMC.
- To learn more about the HMC network connections, see HMC network connections.
- If your managed system is already installed, you can verify that the Ethernet cable connection is active by observing the green status lights at both the HMC and managed system Ethernet ports as your installation progresses.
- Plug the system power cords and the power cords for any other attached devices into the alternating current (AC) power source.
- Verify the power status by using the power supply LEDs as indicators. For more information, see LEDs on the 7063-CR2 system.
- Press the power button to start the system. The power-on light stops flashing and remains on, indicating that the system power is on.
Next, you need to install and configure your HMC software. Continue with Configuring the 7063-CR2 HMC.