Before you begin
To transition from Application Console to Angular-based Order Hub, it is important that you have a complete understanding of your existing customizations.
Ensure that you are aware of the customized flows for your business use cases and the files that are customized by reviewing the files that are present in your extensions folder. Also, review the functional comparison and evaluate if your customized use cases are already considered. If not considered, and if a user interface or feature is enhanced, you might need to implement your business use cases differently.
Before you get started with developing your customizations for Order Hub, review and understand the customization implementation changes between Application Console and Order Hub in the technical comparison.
- Customization by configuration
- There are certain pages/patterns in Order Hub that allow for simple customizations by completing
configuration changes defined through JSON files. The patterns that support this capability are the
search forms, tables, and field attributes that have the settings icon ().
This is an ideal approach for obtaining common Application Console customizations in Order Hub - without any coding required.
- Differential customization
- The differential customization approach allows you to keep your customization code separate from
IBM code. By using the differential customization approach, your updates are preserved when Order
Hub releases updates to the same pages that you customized. No code merge is required; simply
recompile with the monthly DTK code.
This is an ideal approach for enhancing the Order Hub UI to suit your business needs without code merges - simply recompile with the monthly DTK code.
- Customization by overrides
- The customization by overrides approach provides complete flexibility to customize anything in existing pages. However, after you make changes to the code, you are taking ownership of that route or page and all the companion code assets that come with that page. This means that when IBM release new updates, you will not automatically get updates for that page. To get new updates, you will need to re-sync your customization changes to the latest code release.
Angular is a different typescript-based framework for developing screens when compared to JSPs and Java applets. In the new application, you would need to again implement your custom use cases. For more information about the Order Hub customization framework, see Customizing Order Hub.