Build 205 is released on 5 August 2021.
Minimum version to update from directly: Build 201.
NOTE: The operator has been substantially reworked internally. This will make build 205 a required release that cannot be skipped.
- This release introduces Elasticsearch 7. Please ensure the availability of an Elasticsearch 7.10.2 cluster. If you are using our single-box database setup, the only thing required is to update that setup.
- The operator now installs Kubernetes NetworkPolicies that limit egress and ingress traffic between Instana components to what is required for the system to work.
- The operator now takes care of propagating Secrets to Unit namespaces. Secrets must only be created/updated in Core namespaces. Manual changes to Secrets in Unit namespaces are overwritten and won't have any effect. Changes to Secrets are automatically
recognized by the operator which will then update the system as necessary.
- The Kubernetes cluster domain is now configurable.
Cumulative Changes since Release #201
- Include Instana's AWS Lambda extension in the Instana Node.js Lambda layer.
- Google Compute Engine: Instana agents installed on Compute Engine instances will automatically collect labels which will be displayed in the sidebar of every GCE instance.
- Implemented .Net Core instrumentation for AWS SDK DynamoDB, SQS and SNS clients.
- IBM Cloud Platform Services Sensor: Added support for IBM Cloud Databases for Elasticsearch, IBM Cloud Databases for MongoDB, IBM Cloud Databases for RabbitMQ and IBM Cloud SQL Query.
- Add support for AWS SDK Lambda Invoke call
- IBM Cloud Platform sensor added support for IBM Cloud Container Registry, IBM Cloud Schematics and IBM VPN for VPC
- Invoking AWS Lambda functions via the AWS SDK (Lambda#invoke, Lambda#invokeAsync) is now captured and also correlated into the trace for Go and Node.js
- Node.js: Instrumentation of memcached
- Ruby: Support for ActionMailer and ActiveJob have been added to the library. We now generate logging spans for Rails applications. Resque entry and exit spans are now linked when using the latest version of the
- IBM Cloud Platform sensor: Added support for IBM Cloud Hyper Protect DBaaS for MongoDB and IBM Cloud Hyper Protect DBaaS for PostgreSQL
- Db2 LUW Sensor: Added SSL/TLS support which enables Db2 monitoring via secure connection
- IBM Cloud Platform sensor: Added support to gather metrics from multiple IBM Cloud locations.
- Node.js: Instrumentation of DynamoDB for AWS SDK v3
Agent: Configuration from Process specific files - provide YAML subtrees
In addition to the already available process specific configuration from file or environment with YAML literals, the host agent now supports YAML subtrees from process specific files. This allows for complex configurations, like Java JMX, to be customized
for individual processes when running inside containers. Check out the host agent documentation for details.
Custom payload in alert configurations
Instana now provides support to enrich specific alert with static key-value pairs which would be attached to the alert notification.
IBM i and Db2 on i monitoring
Instana now supports remote monitoring of multiple IBM i instances. The monitored IBM i instance will be displayed as a tower on your Infrastructure Map as well as the Db2 on i will be presented as a running process within the tower. OS related metrics
are collected from various system tables, as well as the database related metrics are collected using the built-in IBM i Collection Services. The supported versions are: 7.2, 7.3 and 7.4.
- IBM i OS level metrics - a built-in dashboard that displays system and memory pool metrics. For more information, refer to the IBM i docs.
- Db2 on i - a built-in dashboard that displays Active Queries, various Operations, Plan Cache and SQL Cursor metrics. For more information, refer to the Db2 on i docs.
IBM APM V8 integration support
Instana now supports integration with IBM Application Performance Monitoring V8. Supported V8 agents attached to an APM V8 server can be integrated with the Instana server. Metrics and identity information from the APM V8 agents is forwarded to the
Instana server. Host, process and IBM Datapower entities and metrics will appear on the Infrastructure map. Supported V8 agents are:
- Linux OS
- Window OS
- Unix OS on AIX
- IBM Datapower
IBM MQ tracing support (Technology Preview)
Instana now supports tracing IBM MQ messages on xLinux 64. For more information, refer to the IBM MQ docs.
IBM Z HMC monitoring (Technology Preview)
Instana now supports remote monitoring of zHMC. This includes a built-in dashboard that displays key metrics. For more information, refer to the IBM Z HMC docs
Instana Agent on OpenShift
The Instana Agent can now be deployed on OpenShift 4.7 and above on IBM Z and LinuxONE. We made sure to cover all 3 modes of installation - Helm, YAML and Operator.
Find our more on in our OpenShift documentation.
Sensor and Agent enhancements
- WebSphere Application
- Added EJB metrics ResponseTime and ResponseCount
- Added session manager metrics CreateCount and InvalidateCount
- Added thread pool metrics ConcurrentHungThreadCount and DeclaredThreadHungCount
- IBM Db2 v 11.5 LUW Containerised version with agents running on Linux VMs - Supported on Linux on x86_64, Linux on Power, IBM Z and LinuxONE
- Added various metrics related to Top queries, Lock wait, Agent status, DBM Config usage, workload and UOW as metrics collections.
- Added detailed table views for DB & DBM configurations, Top Queries, Lock wait, Top Total CPU, Log Disk Wait, Runstats and Diag Log entries.
- With Agent 1.1.602 its possible to set
mode.web-override.allowed = false in the file
<agent-installation>/etc/instana/com.instana.agent.main.config.Agent.cfg to disable the possibility of overriding the Agent Mode directly
from the Instana UI.
You can now inspect the Instana product in nine additional languages. While we aren't finished yet with the product's localization (see known issues), we hope you can already benefit from this. The language can be configured within the product's
general user settings (Settings ➡ User Settings ➡ General). With this release, we are supporting the following languages:
- Chinese (China),
- Chinese (Taiwan),
- Portuguese (Brazil), and
An additional system rule has been added in order to ensure the presence (and be notified in the absence) of hosts. This rule can be found under "System Rules" with the name "Host availability detection".
- Go: versions v1.29.0, instrumentation/instalambda/v1.3.0, instrumentation/instaawssdk/v1.1.0 were released. Support for a direct AWS Lambda invocation was added.
- Java Trace Sensor: Add support for Micronaut 2.5.1
- .Net Core Tracer: Added support for AWS SDK S3 version 3.7.
- Java Trace Sensor: Added support for WebSphere EJB tracing
- Go Sensor: versions v1.30.0 and instrumentation/instagin/v1.0.0 were released.
Support for Gin framework was added.
- Instana Trace SDK: The span duration can now be overwritten using the
duration tag (in milliseconds)
- Monitoring Envoy Proxy documentation: Clarified, enhanced, and unified.
- Java Profile Sensor: Improve resource consumption
- IBM Cloud Platform sensor: IBM Cloud load balancer metrics now include appliance level metrics.
- Custom Dashboards: The Events data source offers new options to optionally include Kubernetes events or agent monitoring issues. Previously, these type of events have been always included by default.
- HAProxy dashboard: The metrics are now aggregated using
sum instead of
- Java Trace Sensor
- Fix capture of host and port for ElasticSearch clients 6.x and 7.x in case of network problems
- Correctly strip HTTP basic auth secrets from HTTP requests when special characters (
@) are used in parameters
- IBM MQ:
- Support TLS enabled connection.
- Support monitoring MQ running in a containerized environment.
- IBM MQ:
- Event enhancement.
- Add poll rate for each queue manager.
- DFQ enhancements - Now you can search by Channel, Cluster, Queue or Queue Manager.
- IBM DataPower:
- Support appliance down status.
- Java Trace Sensor: Correctly trace asynchronous GraphQL calls
- Fixed critical regression issue caused extension to crash
- Fixed firing an exception on Yii framework
- Limited profilier stack depth to prevent memory overflow in the agent
- A number of code improvements and fixes
- Java Sensor:
- Fixed max. length validation of Micrometer custom metric names
- Fixed an issue that prevented tracing of asynchronous Jersey HTTP client calls
- NGINX Tracer
v1.1.2: Fix log spam caused by still unsupported subrequests
- Kafka Connect Sensor: Fixed exception when collecting number of brokers
- Nomad Sensor: Excluded
nomad-autoscaler from discovery
- Some parts of the Instana product are not yet localized or encounter layout issues through localization.
- Disable network policies by default. To enable network policies please set this setting in settings.hcl.
enable_network_policies = true
205-2, 205-3, 205-4
- Updated backend service images and fixes the feature configs that caused missing metrics in the K8s dashboards.
- Fixed an issue setting custom HEAP_OPTS via environment variable.