Console users are granted access to resources based on the role to which they have been assigned. In the navigation pane, selectto add and remove roles and to assign access to widgets, dashboards, and views. After the console is installed, there are some roles that are already defined to the server.
The access level that a role has for a resource determines the actions that users within that role can perform on the resource.
- Access rights for widgets to console resources based on access level:
- User - View and interact with the widget and access widget help.
- Privileged User - View and interact with the widget, edit personal settings, and access widget help.
- Editor - View and interact with the widget, edit personal settings, edit global settings, and access widget help.
- Manager - View and interact with the widget, edit personal settings, edit global settings, and access widget help. Create and edit customized widgets in the widget wizard
- Access rights for dashboards and pages to console resources based on access level:
- User and Privileged User - Launch the node from the navigation.
- Editor and Manager - Launch the node from the
navigation and edit the content and layout.Note: Folders are always available in the navigation if the user has access to at least one of its dashboards.
- Access rights in relation to external URLs accessible through the navigation bar:
- All user types - Launch the node from the navigation.
- Access rights in relation to console views:
- All user types - Select the view.
For a given resource, if a role does not have one of these access level settings, then the role has no access to the resource.
Only users with adminsecuritymanager and Administrator role can create, delete or change the properties of a role. If you assign access for any other role to the Roles widget, users in that role will only be able to view roles and change access to views and dashboards.
If a user is assigned to multiple roles, the user acquires the highest access level between these
roles for a resource. For example, if a user belongs to the manager role with
Privileged User access to a widget and also belongs to the communications role with no access
to the widget, then the user has Privileged User access to the widget.
You can grant access for multiple roles while creating or editing a resource, such as a dashboard or a widget. You can also grant access to multiple dashboards or views while creating or editing a role.