Installing the Probe for SNMP and Syslog Probe
The IBM® Networks for Operations Insight® feature requires the Probe for SNMP and the Syslog Probe. It is important that you install the probes that are included in the entitlement for the IBM Tivoli® Netcool®/OMNIbus 8.1 product. Although the probes are also available in the Network Manager IP Edition entitlement, do not install them from Network Manager IP Edition. The instances of the probes that are available with Netcool/OMNIbus V8.1 are installed by IBM Installation Manager.
- Change to the /eclipse/tools subdirectory
of the Installation Manager installation directory and run the following
command to start Installation Manager:
To record the installation steps in a response file for use with silent installations on other computers, use the -record option. For example, to record to the /tmp/install_1.xml file:
./IBMIM -record /tmp/install_1.xml
- Configure Installation Manager to download package repositories from IBM Passport Advantage®.
- In the main Installation Manager pane,
click Install and follow the installation wizard
instructions to complete the installation. The installer requires the following inputs at different stages of the installation:
Select the nco-p-syslog feature for the Syslog Probe, and select the nco-p-mttrapd feature for the Probe for SNMP.After the installation completes, click Finish.
- If prompted, enter your IBM ID user name and password.
- Read and accept the license agreement.
- Specify an Installation Manager shared directory or accept the default directory.
If the installation is successful, Installation Manager displays a success message and the installation history is updated to record the successful installation. If not, you can use Installation Manager to uninstall or modify the installation.
Ensure that both probes are configured:
What to do next
- For more information about configuring the Probe for SNMP, see the Netcool/OMNIbusdocumentation, https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/SSSHTQ/omnibus/probes/snmp/wip/reference/snmp_config.html.
- For more information about configuring the Syslog Probe, see see the Netcool/OMNIbus documentation https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/SSSHTQ/omnibus/probes/syslog/wip/concept/syslog_intro.html.