Upgrading the IBM MQ Appliance firmware from version 9.2 to version 9.3
You can upgrade the firmware of an IBM® MQ Appliance from version 9.2 (running version 9.2 queue managers) directly to version 9.3 (running version 9.3 queue managers).
- If you have a high availability (HA) configuration you must follow the procedure to update your HA queue managers, see Upgrading a version 9.2 HA configuration to version 9.3.
- If you have an HA configuration with disaster recovery (DR), see Upgrading a version 9.2 HA configuration with DR to version 9.3.
- If you have a DR configuration, see Upgrading a version 9.2 DR configuration to version 9.3.
If you currently have a disaster recovery (DR) configuration, you can keep queue managers active throughout the upgrade process. You do this by running a queue manager on one appliance in the DR pair until the upgrade is complete, then swapping appliances and repeating the upgrade. Note that, once a queue manager has been started on an upgraded appliance, this queue manager will not be able to fail back to an appliance running the earlier (version 9.2) firmware. For this reason, you should upgrade DR recovery appliances before live appliances.
- Stop all your queue managers.
- Create the location and allocate storage for your backup archive files.
- Back up all of your queue managers to archive files.
- Upgrade your appliance to the new firmware level.
- Restart your queue managers.