Scope defines the breadth or span of a license in terms of computer, enterprise, site, logical partition, or user. A license is assigned a scope that reflects the license entitlement.
The following types of scope are supported:
- A computer identified by manufacturer, manufacturing plant, computer type, and serial number. In the case of a blade server, each blade is considered a separate computer.
- The location for each discovered computer must be within the enterprise specified in the license.
- The location for each discovered computer must be within the location specified in the license.
- LPAR (logical partition) scope requires that a computer serial number is also specified. This scope limits where the licensed product may be run. The discovered LPAR identifiers must be equal to the specified LPAR identifiers in the license and the discovered computer serial number of the computer containing the LPAR must be equal to a specified serial number in the license.
- A named individual or role.