Updating CIs that were modified by a Change
When a Change is implemented, it typically modifies the attributes of the affected CIs. The next discovery update will reflect the updated attribute values. In order to associate the Changes with the Change record, and avoid having to update the CIs after discovering a disparity during an audit, you can open a request from within the Change to have the CI records modified.
About this task
For example, a Change that involves adding memory to a computer modifies the memory attribute for the computer CI. When you specify the update using this task, the CI is automatically updated with the specified modification when the Change is completed.
CI attributes are modified in the Move/Swap/Modify dialog window. This topic focuses on the modification of CI attributes, which is one of many operations that can be performed in the Move/Swap/Modify dialog box.
To modify the attributes of CIs associated with a Change, perform the following steps during the Change implementation:
- With the Change open in the Changes application, select the Move/Swap/Modify action. The Move/Swap/Modify dialog window is displayed.
- Open the Modify tab, and then open the Configuration Item tab. The CIs section lists all of the CIs that are associated with the Change; CI specifications, including attributes, are displayed in the CI Specifications section.
- With a CI row highlighted, select an attribute in the Specifications section that you want to modify, and click Modify Attribute to display fields in which to modify the selected attribute. For example, type a new value for the Memory attribute if the Change adds memory to a computer.
- After you have specified all of the CI attribute modifications that apply, click
Save as Plan.
Clicking Save as Plan causes the CI to be updated as specified when the Change moves to the COMPLETE status. Clicking Execute Now updates the CI now. Save as Plan is the preferred choice if you want to synchronize the Change and Configuration Management processes.
- From within the Change, create a process request to configuration management to
update the CI. (To open a new process request, select the
action.) In the new process request, do the following:
- Specify a classification of PMCFGUR (CIs configuration update request).
- Open the CHGRECD attribute.
- In the Table Value field, type or select YES.
- For the CHANGENUM attribute, select the number of the Change that resulted in modifications to the CIs.
When you specify the YES table value for the CHGRECD attribute, you are informing the configuration manager who receives the request that the modifications were specified in the Move/Modify/Swap dialog box. The configuration manager can then go to the specified Change number in the Changes application and examine the modifications; in addition, the configuration manager will be aware that the CI was automatically updated as specified when the Change status moved to COMPLETE.