You can configure Petitboot to find your boot options. Use these instructions if you did not set up your DHCP network boot server or if you are using a static IP address.
About this task
Follow these steps to configure Petitboot to find the operating system installer.
- To provide your network information to Petitboot, follow
- On the Petitboot main menu, select System Configuration and press Enter to open the Petitboot System Configuration window.
- On the Petitboot System Configuration window,
specify your network information.
Note: The network interface names, such as eth0, that Petitboot uses are not guaranteed to match the names that are used by the operating system. To ensure that you are using the expected network interface, compare MAC addresses.
- DHCP on all active interfaces
- Automatically assigns IP addresses to each network interface.
- DHCP on a specific interface
- Automatically assigns IP addresses to a selected network interface.
- Static IP configuration
- Use this option to manually specify an IPv4 network configuration. If you select this option, you must provide an IP address, netmask, gateway address, and optionally a DNS server address.
When you are finished, select OK and press Enter.
- Select e to open the Petitboot Option Editor for edit or n to create new options.
- Use the Petitboot Option Editor window
to edit or create boot options.
- If your boot resources are on a local disk device, select the device from the list, enter your boot resources as paths to that device, and click Enter.
- If you want to use full URLs to your boot resources, select Specify paths/URLs manually and then enter your boot options:
- In the Kernel field, enter the path
to the kernel. This field is mandatory. For example, enter a path similar to this URL address:
In this example, replace networkservername/path with your network server IP address and the path on that server to the kernel.
- In the Initrd field, enter the path
to the init ramdisk. For example, enter a path similar to this URL address:
In this example, replace networkservername/path with your network server IP address and the path on that server to the initrd.img file.
- In the Device tree field, enter the path to the device tree blob. This field is optional.
- In the Boot arguments field, enter
the kernel command-line arguments. For example, enter a path similar to this URL address:
rd.dm=0 rd.md=0 root=live:http://networkservername/path/LiveOS/squashfs.img repo=http://networkservername/path/packages console=hvc0 console=tty0
In this example, replace networkservername/path with your network server IP address and the path on that server.
If you are using a static IP address, include an argument for it. The argument looks like this example:
Replace the variables as follows:
After you set your options, select OK and press Enter.
- net0: The name that you are calling this connection.
- MAC_address: The MAC address of the network device.
- static_ip_address: The static IP address of the device.
- gateway: The gateway of the device.
- netmask: The netmask of the device.
- hostname: The host name of the server. hostname is not required for this connection.
- On the Petitboot main window, select your boot option and press Enter.