Ensure that all prerequisite software is installed on the computers in your
For information about operating systems on which DB2® and MS
SQL Server are supported, see: Supported operating systems.
Table 1. Requirements for the License Metric Tool server
- DB2 11.1 with Fix Pack 1 or higher
- DB2 11.5
DB2 is delivered with License Metric Tool
free of charge. However, according to the license agreement, it can be used only by License Metric Tool.
- Operating system requirements
- To use DB2 as a database, License Metric Tool must be installed on Linux®.
- DB2 that is used for License Metric Tool
must also be installed on Linux. Installation on a Windows computer is not supported.
- DB2 Fix Packs
- For the list of available Fix Packs, see the following links.
- DB2 requirements
- For information about the database requirements, see the following links.
- DB2 edition
- Any of the supported DB2 editions is sufficient to work with License Metric Tool regardless of the number of
endpoints. However, some editions (for example, Advanced Server Edition) give you access to advanced
features of DB2.
For the list of DB2 editions supported by License Metric Tool, see: IBM License Metric Tool 9.2 - supported operating
- DB2 settings
- Use a DB2 instance with default settings. Other required
database settings are configured by License Metric Tool installer.
- Make sure that the file system where the DB2 instance
directory resides is not mounted as
Restriction: If you specify non-default DB2
settings, License Metric Tool might not work
- ksh for DB2
- ksh is not installed by default in new distributions of Red Hat Enterprise Linux. Ensure that
you install the package and that the /bin/ksh directory is available on the
computer where you plan to install DB2 before you start the installation of License Metric Tool.
MS SQL Server
- 2014 Express®
- 2016 Express SP2 or higher
- 2017 with CU15 or higher
- 2017 Express with CU15 or higher
- 2019 Express
MS SQL Server is not delivered as part of License Metric Tool.
- Operating system requirements
- To use MS SQL Server as a database, License Metric Tool must be
installed on Windows.
- MS SQL Server that is used for License Metric Tool must also be installed on Windows. Installation on a Linux computer is not
- MS SQL Server Express edition
To use MS SQL Server Express Edition, additional
configuration is required to use MS SQL Server Express.
For more information, see: Configuring SQL Server Express.
- MS SQL Server settings
- Ensure that snapshot isolation is enabled in the MS SQL Server. For
information about the requirements, see the MS SQL
- The support for AlwaysOn solution has not been tested.
AUTO_UPDATE_STATISTICS feature is by default enabled on the MS SQL Server
database. If you disable this feature, performance of the import might be considerably
- Permissions and roles
- Ensure that the MS SQL Server user has the appropriate role to create the
License Metric Tool database.
- If you create a new database during initial configuration in License Metric Tool, the user must have the
sysadmin role in MS SQL Server.
- If you create an MS SQL Server database manually before the configuration, make sure that the
database is empty and use the
SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CS_AS collation. The user for
such database must have the
db_owner role in MS SQL Server.
- Ensure that the MS SQL Server user has the default database schema set to
- Ensure that the MS SQL Server user has the default language set to "English"
(not a variety of English).
| X server
The X server is required if you want to install or uninstall the License Metric Tool
server in interactive mode on Red Hat
Enterprise Linux. It is also required if you want to
complete the server configuration by using a browser that is available on the computer where the
License Metric Tool
server is installed.
Restriction: XMing X Server for Windows is not
Table 2. Browser requirements
|Chrome 35 or higher
||You can experience problems with checking the detailed information about the
metric quantity on the Metric Quantity History and Maximal Trend Value History graphs on License
Metrics reports. Once you hover over the graph, the information about metric quantity might not be
properly displayed, or might not appear at all.
|Firefox 17 Extended Support Release (ESR) or higher ESR editions
||To use TLS 1.2, check whether your version of the browser supports it and
whether it is enabled. Otherwise, use TLS 1.0 for secure communication with SSL.
- Minimal supported screen resolution is 1360x768 pixels.
- Recommended screen resolution is 1920x1080 pixels.
- Proxies are supported and depend on the server configuration. With the default configuration,
use SSL proxies. If you disabled SSL on the server, then use HTTP proxies. In big environments, the
connections might time out with time-consuming operations (downloading extensive reports). In such a
case, increase the timeout limit for communication between the proxy and License Metric Tool.
- In reports where IP Address column is enabled, the IP address is a link that is activated by an
external plug-in, such as Skype. To remove the link, disable the plug-in.
- You can experience problems with checking the detailed information about the metric quantity on
the Metric Quantity History and Maximal Trend Value History graphs on License Metrics reports. Once
you hover over the graph, the information about metric quantity might not be properly displayed, or
might not appear at all.
Red Hat packages
The following packages are required if you install the components on Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
Table 3. Red Hat packages that are required
for the installation
- All packages required for DB2 (listed below)
- glibc.x86_64 in version 2.7 or higher
- pam.i686 and all dependencies
- Red Hat binutils